El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Mysteriously one day I could not pump gas into my car, it acted as if it was topped off. Being my '79 has a 350 there was no way it was full. I tried everything I could, maybe it was a crappy pump? maybe if I turned the nozzle upside down, nothing... Did some research and it seems there's something wrong with the gas tank ventilation system. The consensus is that it may need a charcoal canister, unfortunately finding a new one has been very difficult. Is there any rocks I haven't overturned? or is this a trip to the 'yard deal?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

Duralast/Vapor Canister

For your 1979 Chevrolet Truck El Camino 5.0L 4BL OHV 8cyl

Price: $58.99

Part Number: VC100
AVAILABILITY:

STORE PICK UP
SPECIAL ORDER
Visit your local store to special order.

SHIP TO HOME
AVAILABLE
Ships within 2 business days.

ADD TO CART

Eligible for FREE 2-Day Shipping
learn more | sign in

Features & Benefits
Duralast products are engineered and manufactured by Wells Manufacturing, a leading global supplier of advanced vehicle electronics solutions for original equipment and replacement applications. Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast, easy installation, superior performance and reliability. Wells offers extensive application information and technical support via its Tech Line at 1-800-558-9770, as well as in-depth product and repair videos on the Wells web site or on the Wellstech channel on YouTube.
  • Vapor canister contains and releases harmful fuel fumes from the fuel tank
  • When not replaced, vehicle may experience excessive fuel consumption, failed emissions test and/or CEL illumination
  • Designed to meet or exceed OE specifications in form, fit and function
  • Global coverage for import and domestic applications

·
Registered
189 Posts
The vapor canister has nothing to do with being able to put fuel in the tank. Chances are it was a bad nozzle on the pump. The vapor canister takes the vapors out of the carburator bowls and turns it back to a liquid state for recycling through the return line to the tank if I remember correctly. If I am wrong, someone that is brighter than me will be along.
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the canister stores the fumes from the carb and tank and burns them when the car is started. it wont interfere with the filling of the tank.. probably a bad nozel, the elco tanks were poorly vented in the first place and can be a pain to fill if sitting off angle or low in the back on a warm day. there is a fix but requires tank removal and the installation of a vent line from the fill neck to the hump that the sending unit mounts to.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
there is a fix but requires tank removal and the installation of a vent line from the fill neck to the hump that the sending unit mounts to.
Where on the fill neck? Before or after the nozzle restrictor(sp?)?

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
after the fill restrictor,between the restrictor and tank.take it to a radiator shop and install 1/2 in nipples and a 1/2 fuel hose and it will solve the problem.all of the newer cars are built that way to solve these issues.putting it behind the restrictor prevents splash back of fuel when venting

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I rebuilt mine w/ charcoal from the fish store.

Click this bar to view the full image.

My charcoal cannister in plastic welded. So I broke one wedge of the bottom grate and emptied, cleaned the foam and interior w/ seafoam. Bought new charcoal from fish store for $10 and re-assembled (like building a ship in a bottle).

The resin like crud that came out.

My pcv connection was broken off. Apparently their would be a split in the connection and one side would plug in here. I did some reasearch and determined I could plug this and the interior hole associated without much loss in use.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The vent line from the tank to the cannister is only a 1/4 inch line, so it's likely not big enough to help vent the tank when gassing up, and it would have to vent through the cannister filter too. This isn't the first thread about 5th gen problems with the gas tank filling and venting. The mod to the filler pipe for venting sounds like a good idea..

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have/had the same problem. Depends on the station, pump, and once october hit and it got cool I didn't have it "overflow" once. Just recently had it happen to me again this pass week. Over the winter I could put 17 gallons in no problem. Over the summer I'm lucky if i can get 15 gallons in. My friends caprice has the same problem.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i am putting a latemodel plastic tank with the vent system in my 86 and will let you know how it turns out

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Please take some pictures of the plastic tank install!It would be appreciated!

Doug

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
x2 on what people are saying about 5th gen and tank fill issues.

Mine has the 22 gallon tank and they tend to have more issues than the 17s.

What I do to get mine filled up is I fill it up slowly, and if there is a rubber end around the pump that goes around the filler neck, I back the pump out just enough to make sure it is venting. Then I sent the pump on the first tooth and be patient.

Also, experiment with different stations in your area. I always go to one station because I can fill up slowly and always fill completely up. But one station down the street always shuts off constantly and another will overfill the tank.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
It's really the angle of the fill tube on the tank. You need to pull the nozzle out about 1/2 way and fill slowly. This works for the standard nozzles. If your station has that accordian type rubber nozzle, you'll have to manually pull back on the nozzle while holding it 1/2 way in the filler neck. An easier solution is find another station without it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW! didn't realize it was that loaded of a question, lol! I am grateful for all the suggestions though :) I have gone to every station within a 10 mile radius of my house ( which is many because I live in a suburban area, the outer fringe of St. Louis to be exact) NONE of the fill nozzles have worked. As a matter of fact my credit card company called me because of "suspicious activity" I tried it so many times. I have owned this car for 5+ years, filled my gas the same way each time with no problem until now. I'll take all the suggestions and weed through the issue, starting with the least expensive. The weather is really nice right now and it's a major bummer not being able to drive my elky!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
the canister stores the fumes from the carb and tank and burns them when the car is started. it wont interfere with the filling of the tank.. probably a bad nozel, the elco tanks were poorly vented in the first place and can be a pain to fill if sitting off angle or low in the back on a warm day. there is a fix but requires tank removal and the installation of a vent line from the fill neck to the hump that the sending unit mounts to.
I did this mod several years ago when I replaced my tank and pick-up. Less then $5 in parts and about an hour of labor. It is a 17 gallon tank and I just put 18.5 gallons in it on Wednesday. The only problem is that I can smell fuel fumes when I stop. I do not know if they are coming from the tank or another leak in the system. Sorry, I did not take picutres.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts