El Camino Central Forum banner

charging problem

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  steelybill 
#1 ·
my 77 el Camino was running fine but then when driving home from work the charge light came on so I took off the negative cable and it died so I had the alternator checked and it was fine so was the battery now I don't know what to do can someone help me with this

#2 · (Edited)
Does your Elco have AC ? I believe the fuse for the AC has something to do with the charging circuit (?) Don't remember .......
Of course the problem could be a number of other things, like wiring etc.
I'll take a look at the wiring diagram....

edit:
By the way, the red GEN light gets it's ground, for it to come on, from the alternator, when the engine isn't running. When the engine is running, and the alternator is working right, there is power on both sides on the light socket, so the light goes out.
Not sure how well the parts stores can check an alternator.
The wiring for the light is the brown wire in the small connector that is plugged into the back of the alternator, so check that plug and the wiring to it, and check if the plug fits tight etc.

Hope some of this helps.....

#4 ·
Might be as simple as a dirty battery cable connection. It might look clean, I would remove the neg/pos connections clean then re install. Check your battery voltage while engine is not running. Start the car and you should see an increase of 1 volt if the alt is working correctly. Good luck, Pete :scatter:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.