El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing the idiot light to a gauge instruments panel the engine check lamp came on after 3 mls.
The fault code was 14 and 15 ?? why now and not before?
I changed the temperature sensor (new model) but the fault remains.
I disconnected the battery cables for one night and connected the + and - cables for a second, the fault is gone but the check engine lamp still on.
Its a 1983.
The car runs perfect otherwise, but I hate to watch that yellow light all the time, someone a solutions.
Thank you for a reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After changing the idiot light to a gauge instruments panel the engine check lamp came on after 3 mls.

The fault code was 14 and 15 ?? why now and not before?

I changed the temperature sensor (new model) but the fault remains.

I disconnected the battery cables for one night and connected the + and - cables for a second, the fault is gone but the check engine lamp still on.

Its a 1983.

The car runs perfect otherwise, but I hate to watch that yellow light all the time, someone a solutions.

Thank you for a reply.

If yours is fuel injected, the ECM could be freaking out over the fact that you're bypassing the stock sending units. What I did on mine when I got gauges instead of idiot lights was I fabricated Y-splitters out of brass fittings from Home Depot so I could use both my new sending units for my gauges and my old sensors for the ECM.
I blew out ECMs by bypassing the temperature and oil pressure sending units. The car would run fine for a month, then *zap!*
I went ahead and bought new OEM equivalent sensors for the ECM/ idiot lights from Advance Auto Parts when I installed the Y-splitters as well.

Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts