El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a infra-red temperature gun to check the pan temp of their auto trans.? I would like to know what the temp actually is but I don't want or need to install a gauge. Thanks and have a great 4Th holiday. WP

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steelybill, I did check on other sites and apparently its a widespread practice or method to check the temp. . Thks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I installed a temp gauge in the cooling line for my TH350 on my T, and it was a case of what they tell lawyers: "Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to, or that might tell you more than you want to know."

Keep in mind I've run this car for 25,000 miles and 10 years. It said I had a temp of over 250. With some cooler additions, etc., it still says 200. Not what I wanted to know!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I installed a temp gauge in the cooling line for my TH350 on my T, and it was a case of what they tell lawyers: "Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to, or that might tell you more than you want to know."

Keep in mind I've run this car for 25,000 miles and 10 years. It said I had a temp of over 250. With some cooler additions, etc., it still says 200. Not what I wanted to know!
You probably installed it in the line coming out of the transmission. If you installed it in the line coming from the cooler back to the tranny then you would see much cooler temps. If you put it in the pan then you would get the most accurate reading because this is where the tranny pump get it's supply.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that there is a port you can use on some transmissions. This was one of those deals where I had the gauge and sensor sitting around (since I built the car!) and one day got a wild hair to install it.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, Just checked my tranny temp . I had been in city driving ,back on highway driving 55-60, back to 45 for about ten miles to my shop ,in 101 degree ambient temperature. Pulled the car in , jumped out slid jack under side of frame ,jacked it up so I could get a direct shot at center of pan, got a reading of 157 degrees !!! I couldn't believe it so I checked the IR temp gun against another know source and it was dead -on accurate. I'm a happy camper if thats what it should be. I'll do it again later to verify also. Thks,WP

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steelybill, Yep i was shocked to see the temp that cool also. In fact I had to check my infra red gun to make sure it was ok ,and it was. I'm tickled pink with the temp !! WP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts