El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my quarter panels and the skins I found don't have a gas door cut out of it. I figure I may as well take advantage of it and "shave" the gas door. I don't want to put a fuel cell in the bed and haven't had much luck finding a fuel cell that doesn't require being mounted in the bed or cutting a hole in the bed. My next thought was mounting a Chevelle gas tank in a 1964 El Camino so it would be hidden behind the license plate. My question would be has anyone tried putting a Chevelle gas tank in a El Camino? or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, 64. Found your post from a couple years ago. I have the same issue with the new quarter panel. Wondering if you were able to convert to the license plate. Any luck?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Isn't the frame in the way? The el Camino usually has a bigger frame... I like the outlet in the bed idea. The stock fill location on my 69 is so low, its such a pain to fill up..

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't know about the '64 EC but the '68 EC has the same frame as the Chevelle coupe except it's 10" longer. I'm thinking about changing my '68 EC to the Chevelle license plate fill up location to smooth up the driver's side quarter panel. When they press the gas filler hole in the quarter panel it gets sunk in quite a bit. I was surprised how much it was sunk in when I compared it to the passenger side quarter panel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pitts, not sure about the frame. The body is on a rotisserie now. I'm not totally opposed to relocating it to the bed wall but would be a lot less work if the Chevelle tank and filler location would suffice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi All! Want to rekindle this post. Has anybody replaced an El Camino fuel tank with a Chevelle one that goes through the license plate?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts