El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,566 Posts
I hope not! I'm getting tired of all these "do-over" models. Build something new and exciting. Let us enjoy the classics we have. Go to any show or cruise night and count how many new mustangs, challengers, and camaros you see. There will be more new than old. It's keeping people away from cruises I think. I was at a cruise night a week ago and a 2013 camaro got a trophy! For what? Original oil and filter?!! At least Ford plans to totally redesign the mustang and get away from the retro look.

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
I agree with Bobby. Let them create something completely new. If they made a brand new Elky it would be about 1/5th American,1/5th Chinese, 1/5th Mexican, 1/5th Taiwanese and 1/5th plastic. Keep it!
I prefer my 48 year old all American steel cruck.:dontknow:

· Premium Member
2,284 Posts
I agree with Bobby about new cars being awarded prizes at shows, it's ridiculous for them to even be considered. That being said, if they made an all wheel drive New Camino one would definitely be in my garage and would be my daily driver.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
like Bobby said:
It's keeping people away from cruises I think​

That's the fault of the cruise coordinator's - it's their regulations that set the cruise in parameters.

Unfortunately; some people are too desperate to appease the masses than staying on a specific focal point - went I co organized the car show on our towns dollar - even I fell for that ... allowing too new stuff to show.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
OK build it but call it something else besides "el camino", "caballero', or "sprint".
How about call it what is, Holden, just like everything else GM makes today.
Anyone see the all new impala? Looks like a Hyundai.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK build it but call it something else besides "el camino", "caballero', or "sprint".
How about call it what is, Holden, just like everything else GM makes today.
Anyone see the all new impala? Looks like a Hyundai.
Hyundai? :poke: what? It looks THAT GOOD?

It seem's as though when an old school goes retro or gets a BIG splash in a movie - the older one gains a boost in value.

Sure - we love our older stuff ... but the exposure makes it worth more which makes it a Good Investment!

933 Posts

· Registered
2,566 Posts
Ray
yeah it's the cruise's fault I guess. But for some reason people think they can go to the dealer and buy an instant classic! You want a trophy for your 2013, fine! Come back in 20 years!

Ran into a neighbor of mine at a cruise night a few weeks ago. He just picked up a 2004 TBird Pacific Edition. He was upset that he was the only TBird? What the old ones all around him don't count? I tried to have a little fun with him by asking what was "special" about his "pacific edition"? Answer... "well uh...uh... the color...uh...the shifter has leather on it...uhhhhh? Needless to say I was very impressed with this "classic"! :dontknow:

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ray
yeah it's the cruise's fault I guess. But for some reason people think they can go to the dealer and buy an instant classic! You want a trophy for your 2013, fine! Come back in 20 years!

Ran into a neighbor of mine at a cruise night a few weeks ago. He just picked up a 2004 TBird Pacific Edition. He was upset that he was the only TBird? What the old ones all around him don't count? I tried to have a little fun with him by asking what was "special" about his "pacific edition"? Answer... "well uh...uh... the color...uh...the shifter has leather on it...uhhhhh? Needless to say I was very impressed with this "classic"! :dontknow:
ya' see? yer just to darn nice ... I would've bust nard's so bad :twisted:

· Registered
1,761 Posts
Chevorlet considering

Remember the Pontiac G8 Sport Truck? It was to be a re-badged Aussie Holden Ute SS due here in the fall of 2010. We all know what happen to the Pontiac division. A current 2012 Holden Ute Redline SS MSRP is 54K.

· Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Bobby. Let them create something completely new. If they made a brand new Elky it would be about 1/5th American,1/5th Chinese, 1/5th Mexican, 1/5th Taiwanese and 1/5th plastic. Keep it!
I prefer my 48 year old all American steel cruck.:dontknow:
n
Word. Mine's only 44 years old, but I'm not trading it in for a new version, no way. The original has style that cannot be touched.

· Premium Member
12,128 Posts
If they actually do come out with a new model Elky type, I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. Even the cheap model of the Camaro is way too much.....
Picture all these current cars when they get as old as our Elkys.......and we think WE have electrical problems ! Our trucks are Model Ts compared to the newer stuff, electronic night mares when they get old...

· Premium Member
589 Posts
I just got one statement to make, remember when chevy brought back the Nova name? What a disgrace to the Nova name by putting it on a Geo Metro type car. I say leave the El Camino name alone.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got one statement to make, remember when chevy brought back the Nova name? What a disgrace to the Nova name by putting it on a Geo Metro type car. I say leave the El Camino name alone.
On the flip side :beer: look at all the interest in the topic!

Some values will increase when people notice the new one looks bad and old school type of people will revolt against the new one.

Consider the interest on this topic just on this thread

Besides that - look at the retro Chevy pick up - looks a lot like the ol' 49 custom deluxe I used to have - it could find its way in my driveway

and there is the Charger and Challenger that look sort of okay - it's said its fun to drive. I don't know for sure!

IN A NUT SHELL: it seems to me that it could increase the value of what we have.

Even negative publicity can turn a profit.

· Registered
555 Posts
I hope not! I'm getting tired of all these "do-over" models. Build something new and exciting. Let us enjoy the classics we have. Go to any show or cruise night and count how many new mustangs, challengers, and camaros you see. There will be more new than old. It's keeping people away from cruises I think. I was at a cruise night a week ago and a 2013 camaro got a trophy! For what? Original oil and filter?!! At least Ford plans to totally redesign the mustang and get away from the retro look.
Exactly^

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.