El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be old news to this group, but I saw it for the first time this week. It's cute, but expensive. Who whats a convertible pick-up truck, with a 4 foot bed, anyway!

Take a look.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ssr/

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've liked that concept from the begining (I like the old early '50's look anyway). But the price is nowhere near what they said it would be. @ years ago they were saying it would be priced in the mid $20k range. Now it's up to $40K :roll: Typical "big 3" thinking, price it out of sight, wonder why it doesn't sell, then pull the plug on it :mad:

·
Registered
100 Posts
why does the world have to make the vehicles round all the time. Eventually we are going to be driving balls around. This SSR to me looks like they took the VW bug and the S10 and combined them. Maybe its just me but I will stick with my elky.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Who whats a convertible pick-up truck, with a 4 foot bed, anyway!
Gm's got thier head up thier a$$ on this one. They'e trying to go for a very exclusive market. The well-to-do 45-55 year old CEO's who want the latest toy/gadget. Look at the Plymouth Prowler or the Honda S1000. You've see the types of guys who buy those. They're the same dudes who buy and old Corvette as an investment. They're the same guys who buy a car that reminds them or thier youth(like the Prowler)but isn't very fast cause they've slowed down in thier later years. They're the guys who pay big $$$ to restore a rare car and knows every technical & production aspect of the car,BUT has never and will never turn a wrench on it. They're the guys who wear the straw golf hats with thier car's name on it(usually with matching golf shirt and golf pants :lol: )

The SSR doesn't even have a hot engine(it uses the 5300 out of the Suburban...yawn). It's a completly useless vehicle that you can't tow or haul with. It's a shame GM is focusing thier attention on a vehicle like this and killing a good car like the Camaro.

BTW: it was suppose to come out in late spring just in time for summer. It still isn't out yet so I guess it'll come out just in time for winter. Great planning on GM's part!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm not really too thrilled about the SSR, yeah sure its neat, RWD and V8 but its not much else. Like Cold said its mainly going for the older CEO type who want the new toy. I would much rather see GM selling the Holden Crewman SS or the Ute SS both of these would make good for new el camino's. just think of the crewman as an elky for the family.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Utes are why I'm hoping the new GTO sells well (it's a Holden Monaro that's been rebadged and tweaked to US regs). Holden and GM are in discussion on some of their other platforms (they won't say which ones, but I would be surprised if the Ute isn't in the consideration), contingent on how successful the GTO project is.

Right now the only way to get a Ute is to buy it from a Holden dealer in Australia and arrange the shipping and import yourself. And as soon as it leaves Australia the warranty is void, and there is no US source for parts so repair parts have to come in by the same route. But if GM decides to introduce it into the US market all that will be automagically fixed.

So I suppose we want the SSR to be semi-successful (to validate the genre), the GTO to be wildly successful, and then hope the bears in fur coats can find the fireplace.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Hey whats the difference between a four door Ute filled with CEOs' and a porcupine?...The porcupine has the pricks on the outside! :lol: Why are we making cars in Austrailia? How much are the shipping and destination charges, as opposed to making it say someplace like Detroit? The Ute to me looks like a mutant S-10. Are there no longer any talented designers here in the USA anymore or, apparently, Austrailia either? I sure hope they never put the El Camino emblem on that ugly A$$ piece of $#i+!!! Can you say Decoma? Sure you can, I knew you could!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow...Cold Bastrd I could not agree with you more! You just about said everyting I wanted to say. Very well done.

GM can't even get it together on their performance truck line. Which is all they have left at the moment. I have read and seen photo's of a standard cab SS 6-speed that was going to be all guts and little luxury with a price in the low 20's. They don't know what to do with that one as Ford fans are happy with the screamin Ford Lighting and now Dodge coming out with their standard cab Viper V-10 6-speed!!!

I have seen drawing of a "maybe" new '70 Chevelle retro rwd in the works. I hope they get their act together real soon!

PS...I am in that 45-55 year old range but you can believe that I have got grease under my fingernails and cuts on my knuckels and have no time for golf!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I guess I am the only one that does like the truck. After all it is not suppose to haul much more than a bag of golf clubs. Its suppose to be a sports car/truck. It was never advertised as a new El Camino.

It is a retro look back to something like a 32 roadster with modern lines. I think they are charging way to much if they want 41,000.00 for it. It is the 5.3L SFI with a 4L60E. The original proto-type had the LS1 at 330 Hp. This one, according to MotorWeek has 300 Horses and goes from 0 - 60 somewhere in the 7s. Pretty shabby considering they are trying to pass it off as a "Super Sport Roadster." I've been watching it since 2000. Hydro formed frame its a pretty interesting endeavor considering GM. I'd buy one if they were less expensive and I'd like driving it I am sure. Its not like you absolutely can't play with the thing to get more power.

Hey the PT Cruiser has a 4 and I think they offer a 6 banger now. The cheesy roadster they make has a 4 banger in it. This is a doable V8 with some decent creature comforts. 300 Horses is not too horrible. Some are driving around Elkys with 200 or less and like them.

Anyway I am a little different I suppose. :eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hate it too...saw it up close a year ago at an auto show...not impressed.

I'm not on board with anything GM has done in many years...oh yeah...$41k? Doubt ANYONE can really buy one for that....they'll tack on the usual "availability fee" at the dealer....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts