El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, the choke/oil light (idiot) on my 86 likes to blink on here and there. it came on once when I had to made a hard left immediately followed by a hard right while going up a hill and turned off once I leveled out. Normally it will blink on for a sec sometimes while I'm shifting (auto by the way) . I recently bought it after it sat for a year with the previous owner, so I am finding my fair share of surprises. If you have any advice I'd be grateful...let me know if there are any more details i can give about it that may help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would trace the wire to the choke and looks for any cracks and possible grounding out. I think this on and off grounding out would cause the light to come on and off.

Matt

·
Registered
351 Posts
You may want to look at the engine oil pressure switch also. The 20 A gage fuse supplies power to the choke light and is hot in run, bulb test, or start. Before the engine oil pressure switch closes the light is grounded and should light up. Once the engine is running and oil pressure reaches 4 PSI > the switch closes and applies 12 V from 20 A C/H fuse to the choke heater and this is only hot in the run position. If your loosing this 12 V or the engine oil pressure switch is flaky it may be turning the light on here and there.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
You might start by checking the oil level.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Ya know, I was down a quart of oil and added it and right after that the choke light came on. I've been checking everything to try and fix it, could it be that simple?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts