El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. I have recently been having problems with the choke on my quadrajet. I let the engine warm for quite a while but the choke wont open and the RPMs wont kick down. I replaced the choke thermostat thinking that might do the trick, Not sure if I didnt set it right or what. But When I first installed it with the choke open, the choke wouldnt close back up. Then I installed with with the choke closed and it wont open back up again. I'm not quite sure what else I can try.

But.. One thing I have been thinking about is just trying to convert it to a manual choke. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? I just think a manual choke would be easier for me to control.

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi @Jolene86 ,

I think I've had nearly the same problem.
At mine, I the rods behind the choke housing where a little bend so it wouldn't work free.

I searched a little thouh my phone but there are no pictures about it.
You need to look at the choke side of carb if everything works and turns free if you open the throttle

Hope you're understanding ;)

Greets Karsten

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @Jolene86 ,

I think I've had nearly the same problem.
At mine, I the rods behind the choke housing where a little bend so it wouldn't work free.

I searched a little thouh my phone but there are no pictures about it.
You need to look at the choke side of carb if everything works and turns free if you open the throttle

Hope you're understanding ;)

Greets Karsten

Sorry for the late reply. I ended up fixing it.I noticed that the after changing the thermostat correctly the choke would open but the RPMs wouldnt kick down. Further inspection I found the throttle wouldnt completely kick back to the idle screw. So I soaked that sucker with carb cleaner and now once it warms up I just give it a real good rev and it kicks back down.

Thanks for your response though!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm installing a cable on my 69 with a quadrajet.. That way I can open the choke up right after it starts and not run it rich while the oil is thick. A rich condition can wash the oil off the cylinder walls when its thick and not providing full protection yet..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts