El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping some of the CCC enthusiasts can help me out here.

I am just trying to figure out what was original on the side molding. I realize that we cannot buy this stuff anymore and that people have been just removing it from their cars, but I would like to know what is "original".

I have a 1985 and 1983 CCC to use as reference and I am seeing a difference in the side moldings.

To start off I want to show what the CCC catalog offered in the past, I will reference one of my questions to this at the bottom of the post:

Here is a pic from my 1985 CCC. The molding is in good shape and if I move the trim inserts off to the side you can see that this molding is attached with adhesive tape (no holes).

I have access to two different 1983 CCC's and will be comparing them below.

Car #1 - The aluminum molding is attached to the car via small Philips head screws and the aluminum looks just like the 1985. Here is a pic of this one.

Car #2 - This is also a 1983 however this trim was riveted in place and the center of the aluminum molding has washboard grooves. Here is a pic:

So to wrap up here is the questions I am hoping to get some answers to:

1) How is the molding to be attached. Did CCC change from using rivets, to screws, to adhesive tape over the years between 1983-1985?

2) Can someone with a 1984 CCC compare the points made above and chime in on how their car is setup please?

3) Has anyone seen the machine turned "fish scale" insert the ad mentions above? Do you have any pics of what this looked like? I think that the 1983 Car #1 may have had this as it could be the dried adhesive that is giving it the broken up look. The 1983 Car #2 probably would not have had this ever, and it looks like my 1985 probably didn't either.

4) On the 1985 I can see that some of the miter cuts were done perfectly straight where on the 1983's there is actually a curve cut into the ends to match the wheel openings and door profiles. If you look at the 1985 pic this is evident where the gap from the door opening is greater at the top due to the straight cut. What do you guys see on yours, are they curved or straight cuts?

5) Could someone post some pictures of the 1985-1987 stick on molding that CCC changed to? Did they use the same molding throughout after the change or are there a couple different versions out there? I have nothing to reference on this newer style.

It would be great if we could get some pictures and examples of other cars out there. I hope this thread will end up helping someone else who is interested in either restoring or keeping the original look as much as possible. My 1985 has been painted so I am not sure if it has been changed or not.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
will this help ?? I will search for a pkoto . oh , 2018 choochoo calender cover girl :sigh: 1986 purchased new , 2nd owner

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that helps as it shows what the newer style trim looked like. I am hoping to get some examples from every year and also up close photos. Thanks Terry

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
I'll try to post some pics of my '86 trim.
It has the fish scale pattern, but I hate to tell you that the pattern id on the clear tape that they applied, not in the metal itself.

And,
I am looking to acquire a small piece of the trim that you show is from your '85. I need about a foot. If you find any in your travels, please think of me.

Some of my trim was attached by adhesive, some was attached by screws. All is original. I think Choo Choo winged it when they got busy. No rhyme or reason, just got the job done.

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to post some pics of my '86 trim.
It has the fish scale pattern, but I hate to tell you that the pattern id on the clear tape that they applied, not in the metal itself.
Dave, that would be great but also brings up another question.
According to the literature that I posted at the top of this thread, they changed the molding mid year in 1985.

So is your molding original?
Is it possible that someone liked the 1983-85 style better and could have swapped it out, maybe?

I have figured out that the fish scale look would have been some type of tape but haven't' seen a good example as I imagine it wouldn't weather well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also thinking that CCC may have started out with the washboard center on the early 1983's but manufacturing costs could have been high. It probably would have been cheaper to keep the center smooth and then just apply the fish scale tape over it. This of course is just a theory of mine.

Does anyone else have this washboard style center?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave,

Can you post some pics of your trim please?

Anyone else, can you post any pics?

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
So, on my vehicle, the shorter pieces of trim are the ones that are held by screws and glue. The longer pieces are held by glue only.
And you are correct. The fish scale tape wasn't designed for the long haul.

Phillip, I need a 12" piece. Please don't forget me if you run into one. :)

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave,

That is awesome, thank you. I had not seen the "Fish Scale" portion of the trim before.

I also find it interesting that your car is a 1986 and it still has the aluminum trim versus the flexible stick on style. It is also of interest that the some of your trim is screwed in and some isn't.

I appreciate you taking the time to post your pictures. I believe that this thread will be useful in the future for people that are trying to restore or maintain the original style Choo Choo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts