El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an original Choo choo black steering wheel with the orig center cap inc.

thanks for the ad

[email protected]

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Good luck on this one....I've been looking for years. I found one on Ebay last year, but the seller wanted $325 (I didn't want it that bad). The Choo Choo steering wheel was likely the rarest option they offered; I've only seen a handful of them in the 15 years that I've been into Choo Choos...and they're usually already on a car and not for sale. I don't think they came in black, because black was not an El Camino dashboard color when Choo Choos were made (Ive only seen red and blue). You might be better off finding a 1980s SS Monte Carlo steering wheel and having a custom button made.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
I don't think they came in black, because black was not an El Camino dashboard color when Choo Choos were made (Ive only seen red and blue).
I correct myself, they did come in black according to this Choo Choo brochure. I've never seen a black one though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if u see one, let me know.......i had a black one a choo choo back in the 90's. Might even look at the aftermarked wheels - some nice stuff that is easy on the eyes

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS....where is that page from that you show above?

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
WOW !! I had no idea that that wheel was that rare. I have one on my 86 ChooChoo and now I'll start taking it to bed with me !! Mine is black with gray leather wrap. WP

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
I have an S10 wheel in my storage unit that looks similar to that if anyone's interested?
Ed, I think he's right. I looked around online and the Choo Choo steering wheel looks identical to the 1988-1995 Chevy Silverado non-air bag steering wheel (probably the same as the S-10 wheel). I bet the Choo Choo wheel is this wheel with color specific leather wrapped around the grip, and a Choo Choo emblem horn cap. This makes sense as Choo Choo would have had easy access to this wheel through GM. I bet I could make you an authentic looking Choo Choo wheel using one of these.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I think the spokes are thinner/slimmer on the ChooChoo . It does stand to reason they would use a readily available wheel though. The horn button or center cap has the ChooChoo train embroidered in it on mine, guess they are all like that.I'll sure take very good care of mine now ! I'll try to post a pic of it in the next day or so. WP

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Wayne, send me a close-up pic of your horn cap if you don't mind. Ill PM you my email address if you're willing to. Thanks. The creative juices are flowing...I just bought a Silverado wheel off Ebay and Im going to take it to my upholstry guy and make this happen. Ed, if you're interested Ill post pics of it on this thread when it's done. If not, Ill throw it on my '84 Choo Choo.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, to be certain what the orig looks like and the center cap - Wayne can you pls send me several pics of your wheel and cap as well. Also - can u provide the dimensions of the wheel?

E-Man, yes i would be interested in what your thinking!!!

pls send to [email protected]

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have an 84 Choo Choo and didnt know that a specific steering wheel existed. My steering wheel looks original but doesnt look like that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty sure mine had metal spokes, black leather wrapped and the center horn was a push button with a ring on the outside - and the center button had the choo choo logo on engraved or somehow on the button. i have seen it fairly recently (ill try to find the pic) on a choo choo for sale on the internet. Im sure there might be other styles as well - but this is what i remembered on mine.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine had metal spokes, black leather wrapped and the center horn was a push button with a ring on the outside - and the center button had the choo choo logo on engraved or somehow on the button. i have seen it fairly recently (ill try to find the pic) on a choo choo for sale on the internet. Im sure there might be other styles as well - but this is what i remembered on mine.
Ed, I did some more digging and discovered there were two types of Choo Choo steering wheels made. Here is the second style, which sounds like the one you described above that you used to have:

This isn't a great picture, but it has metal spokes and a plastic horn cap. I went on Grant's website (who produced this original wheel) and it doesn't look like they make this particular three spoke design anymore. I forgot this second Choo Choo wheel was made when I first replied to this thread, but my pops said he knew about it and he had already contacted Grant a few years ago about ordering the Choo Choo button with negative results.

If you want this style wheel you could easily buy a similar three spoke Grant design and have a Choo Choo logo decal put on the horn cap. But Im still going to try and make the other style wheel just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bingo - thats the wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts