El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most El Camino owners are familiar with the St. Louis drive-away, where 120 CCC's were picked up by the St. Louis zone dealerships in March 1984.

I'm thinking that a similar program could have existed with the Boston dealerships in May-July 1984. I don't have any positive info yet, but I'm looking. Perhaps up to 35 CCC's could have participated.

Anyone want to help play detective?

CCC recertification decal located on the drivers side door jamb would look like this.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Choo Choo Custom Boston

Best I can tell, we have about 190 members in Mass., 9 live in Boston, and one actually owns a Choo Choo. We'll see what happens next.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,588 Posts
I was a GMC Sales manager in the 80's and GM used to promote that kind of event. With a certain minimum order quantity, the trucks were delivered to a nearby location and the dealers would drive them home from the meeting.
I can't speak from actual Chevrolet experience, but I did participate in GMC events with other "ship-thru" vehicles and it's entirely logical the Boston Chevy Dealer advertising group did the same process with Choo-Choo. Our events were much less exciting, such as snowplow-equipped pickups or "Woody" Jimmys.

Bill

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still looking for info on these CCC El Caminos. The Stl driveaway had 115 white, 3 silver and 2 black units(not 120 white as you often read on the Internet). So far I have found 5 recert decals with "Boston" on the lower line(ala Stl), highest number is 40, all are black.

·
Registered
1984 El Camino SS Choo Choo Customs
7 Posts
Hey, just joined the forum. I know its has been a few years since anyone has posted on this thread but I have a 1984 Choo Choo SS, Boston-15.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
684 Posts
Hey, just joined the forum. I know its has been a few years since anyone has posted on this thread but I have a 1984 Choo Choo SS, Boston-15.
I don’t know if anyone has come to any conclusions about the Boston decals, but it’s nice to find another one. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don’t know if anyone has come to any conclusions about the Boston decals, but it’s nice to find another one. Can you post a pic?
Posted the Choo Choo tag. Will post a pic of the Camino itself when I get home from work. Its black (like the others found) with maroon interior. Has been repainted though.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
684 Posts
That’s cool. I’m surprised we still haven’t been able to figure out why these El Camino’s have Boston written on the decal, but I’m sure it has something to do with a dealer delivery promo. Have you run a Carfax, does it say the first owner was up in that area?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s cool. I’m surprised we still haven’t been able to figure out why these El Camino’s have Boston written on the decal, but I’m sure it has something to do with a dealer delivery promo. Have you run a Carfax, does it say the first owner was up in that area?
Have not run a CarFax report yet. Bought it off a guy down near Plymouth, MA. According to him he bought it off a friend back in the late 80s early 90s and ran it with dealer plates until 94 (which reflects on the Title) when he put it in his name. If that is all true I will be the 3rd owner, all from MA. But every car has a story with it, who knows if its the true story lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts