El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great report

I'm trying to get info on what appear to be unusual (at least to me) side moldings on an 84 Choo Choo. If you would be so kind as to email me, I can send you a photo. thx.
markyd
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I think you are correct and they only had a short time to build the 120 for the event. I think the photo below was taken in 1984, and these are some of the 120 Elkys used for the event (I count at least 25 in the photo). Note they have the 1983-1985 style side mirrors; making it plausible that these are some of the 1984s from the video.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o547/IROCelky/IROC/ECCpost2.jpg
More then likely I'm wrong but, I don't think the 25 or so Choo Choo's in that picture are from the 120 give away's. I say this because the pictured Choo Choo's all have the SS decal on the front facia (that I could tell). If you watch the IROC-SS website video you'll notice when they leave, driving their Choo Choo's, that the front facias either have a license mounted or only the license plate mounting bracket! No SS decals.
Just my observation.

Doug

Shows up more clear in my VHS tape!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Copy it and I'll buy a copy,or have it downloaded to a dvd disc
I don't know the legality of copying a reproduction (it's got a Choo Choo P/N 19940) VHS tape and selling it in DVD form! Besides, I don't have the equipment to copy it to a DVD disc.
My thinking now is to get an idea of what the tape is worth and selling it. I'm not into the "original Choo Choo mania". My '80 El Camino got the Choo Choo nose because I got a good deal on three factory seconds noses at a swap meet about eighteen years ago. I've got the one on my '80 (slight damage), I've got another that was never installed or painted, And, I sold one about sixteen years ago.
What I find out or decide I'll post on this site!

Doug

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
choo choo customs info

DVD for sale on E-bay for $6.64-free shipping.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
DVD for sale on E-bay for $6.64-free shipping.
I saw that. It's for a Choo Choo Customs El Camino sales promotion.
The VHS I have is a factory reproduction (P/N 19940) of the VHS tape Choo Choo Customs gave to only its GM St. Louis Zone dealers and their guests.
E-MAN even said these are rare.

Doug

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice find. That's the kind of information I want people to add to this thread. Maybe an administrator could make this thread some kind of sticky.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That Elky sold on autotrader a few months ago for somewhere around 8-9k. Im assuming it's an old ad, because I don't think the new owner would be re-listing it for half what he paid.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I saw it and thought if you didn't have the re-certification decal info i should post it. Sorry!

Doug

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No need to apologize, I didn't mean for that post to come off the wrong way. Im always on the look-out for interesting Elkys. That one would be a pretty interesting piece to own being one from the St Louis drive-away event. It may be a current ad, Im just saying it sold a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
choo choo customs info

Wayne, go to-bay, enter El Camino SS Choo Choo, or El Camino dvd, it's on both listings.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Where can you get a model pace car of the IROC-S. That they used at the races. :nanawrench:
Unfortunately there isn't one. I tried making one using a basic Ertl Choo Choo El Camino model kit I got from Ebay, but unfortunately my model-making skills are limited :banghead:. In the overall picture of famous Pace Cars the IROC-S is a relative unknown when compared to the Camaro and Corvette Pace Cars, so I wouldn't expect to see any die-cast models of it anytime soon. But I'd sure like to see one made one day.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here is a photo of the commemorative 1984 'St Louis Drive Away' event decal that was placed on the tailgates of the 120 Choo Choos that were involved in the event. These 120 Elkys can also be identified by the STL-XXX number on the Re-Cert decal.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,078 Posts
E-Man, nice article. I knew some of this but you helped clarify what options came on the Choo Choo SS.

My particualr car was not fully original when I got it and have since modified the drivetrain somehwat.

I'll take a picture of the door re-cert tag and send it to you.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
choo choo customs info

BASSr, thanks for pic of your recert decal. It has been added to my file. anyone else want to contribute?

21 - 40 of 600 Posts