El Camino Central Forum banner

561 - 580 of 602 Posts

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Just spotted this at my local Home Depot near Ft Lauderdale, FL a few days ago. Nice to see one on the road. I already know the owner and was aware this car was in the area, but if I didn’t, what a shock it would be to see one of the un-numbered IROC-S Choo Choos on the road.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
:feedback:

'86 CCC
Can anyone tell me the poly hood scoop measurement from the rear edge of the hood to the scoop?
Need to re-attach mine onto a replacement hood.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
3" at the corners. Measured at the closest part as those corners are angled.

Mine came from Choo Choo when they were still in business about 23 years ago. That's where the instructions said to place it.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Mine is 3" at the center of the top crease to the edge of the hood and was factory installed, so Rogers is right on . I would assume they didn't pay particularly close attention to location as long as it was close to the three inches.I use a 3M 1/4" wide mounting tape for mine and you need to pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO DRILLING THE MOUNTING HOLES !! The length of the screws ,etc. can make a big difference as to depth of drilling into the scoop. When I remounted my new fiberglass scoop I taped th scoop in place and marked the holes into the scoop from under the hood.You could also angle the drillings in toward the center to get a little more meat to attach to. I drilled and tapped into the fiberglass . I used 3M (38583) 1/4in x 15ft Exterior Attachment Tape from Amazon to attach the scoop after drilling the holes, etc.. By the way I used very precisely placed tape on the edges ,etc. to mark where the scoop would sit with locater tabs and index marks on the scoop lining up with the tape on the hood. WHEW !! Sorry bout the rambling on ! Just remember ,like I tell my guys, check three times ,cut once ! Need anything else just ask and I'm sure somebody can help.:hail2:

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,577 Posts
E-Man , We miss seeing you and Roger and hope you will both join us again in Jupiter/Palm Beach for the now , one day Super Chevy Show May 25 . We would enjoy winning our 8 th Best Club Participation Award at S.C. but most importantly would be for others to enjoy your historic vehicles :rockon:

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
What color is YOUR polyurethane?

Would like to inquire as to the front nose fascia material. I am replacing mine with this Choo Choo Customs polyurethane nose. This is obviously raw urethane.

But...
The damaged nose is dark charcoal color, almost black.

Were there different materials used for the noses back then?

Does anyone else here have similar materials either yellowish or dark?

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
The nose and scoop are both made of the same urethane plastic. Honest Charlie Speed Shop has the molds for the original parts and they have had some made in the past of fiberglass. I have heard both that they were not making anymore and that they do make them ,take your pick ,or call them. But to go back to your question ,it is made of "urethane" .

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
The nose and scoop are both made of the same urethane plastic. Honest Charlie Speed Shop has the molds for the original parts and they have had some made in the past of fiberglass. I have heard both that they were not making anymore and that they do make them ,take your pick ,or call them. But to go back to your question ,it is made of "urethane" .
Yes, thanks Wayne. Urethane is indeed the material. For clarification, I am inquiring about the color of my original nose as opposed to the replacement in the pic. Ever seen a yellow one?

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
No,I have never seen one yellow. Have you cut into the urethane to make sure its not paint/primer ?You can also check with some of the restoration shops with a good reputation and maybe they can help. Does it really matter if it is yellow or black ?

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Choo Choo was notorious for doing things differently from day to day. Almost nothing would surprise me. Having that in mind, it wouldn’t shock me if they had pink polyurethane noses. But I did have a brand new NOS nose a few years back, and it was flat black.

561 - 580 of 602 Posts