El Camino Central Forum banner

581 - 600 of 600 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Choo Choo was notorious for doing things differently from day to day. Almost nothing would surprise me. Having that in mind, it wouldn’t shock me if they had pink polyurethane noses. But I did have a brand new NOS nose a few years back, and it was flat black.
Thanks for clarifying E-Man. Good to know.

I suspected as much. My only experience with yellow has been this replacement nose. It's NOS, with all the trimmings that are also NOS. (Almost nabbed the one you had years ago) Whatever color urethane we could possibly find, a little sealer and primer will do. :)

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Thats definitely a original urethane .As you already know I'm sure, the glass version has a separate grill. I think they had some extra yellow urethane from some other parts and decided to use it up and make guys in the future try to figure out why they used it. LoL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Were floor mats an option offered by Choo Choo Customs? These were in mine when I bought it. The previous owner also gave me a mug made by Chaps, a couple wooden train whistles, and some other stuff that "went with the car". Just wondering if other examples are out there. From what I recall of mid-80s floor mats, these appear period correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
# 1652 in the house!

Don't know if you are still keeping track or not. Either way here is mine...

86 Grey/grey bench seats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi I have an 86 choo choo custom el camino with train on the dash buckets and floor console. It has a label on the door pillar that says choo choo custom. But it has a chrome bumper grill and headlight bezels not a urethane nose, so i'm confused about this car any input?

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Post a picture of the decal if you can. My guess is it was involved in a front end collision at some point during it's life, and to repair it as inexpensively as possible they put a standard nose back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is my new to me CC. 87 Choo Choo, 44k original miles, with door jamb sticker #E7-2139 May 1987, correct decals, CCC black/Silver paint job, 15" rallys, RPO codes in glove box door. I even have copy of the CCC limited warranty and a copy of the CCC carrier delivery form from the dealer to CCC.
Been a long time looking for this one.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Burt, Congrats on winning the lottery !! That is a one of a few find and you are so fortunate to have it to carry it into history. I hope maybe since you're a neighbor we will get to put our two pieces of history side by side. Again, fantastic you have found a jewel.
WP:hail2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Wayne. This one is a keeper. Has always been garaged, and will continue to be garaged, except when it hits the road. I definitely hope to get together with you one of these days.
Be well, and Happy Thanksgiving,
Burt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys! So ive inhereted a 1987 choochoo custom el camino! Garage kept for nearly 20 years! Can anyone help me translate this door jam plate??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting Choo Choo Customs El Caminos:

1984 St Louis Drive Away

In 1984 Chevrolet held a 'St Louis Dealers El Camino SS Drive away' event where 120 brand new white 1984 Choo Choo Customs El Caminos were personally picked up by Chevrolet dealers. It was a pretty big event as Chevrolet flew all of the 120 dealers into Chattanooga , TN to take delivery of the new Choo Choo Customs edition El Caminos . This was done to create excitement for the new Choo Choo El Caminos . The 120 Choo Choo El Caminos that were part of this event were distinguished by a special tailgate decal and an identifying 'STL' number on the Choo Choo Re-Certification decal in the door jam.

1984 IROC promotional El Camino
In 1984 an IROC El Camino was built as a display vehicle to promote the I.R.O.C. series in ’84. It was not a pace car like the IROC-S #001 in 1985; rather it was used at racing events to generate interest in the series. This 1984 IROC created such an interest at the events it attended that GM executives requested Choo Choo to build the IROC-S pace car in 1985; so this is a pretty significant Elky. Nobody seems to know where this car is right now (it was not saved by Choo Choo in their private collection like IROC-S #001 and the Indy Track Service Elky were). It may have been crushed years ago… or it may be in a garage in pristine condition somewhere. If anybody sees it at a show, please let me know.

1985 IROC-S Pace Car #001, and replica editions
In 1985 a special red, white, and blue IROC-S El Camino was built to be the Official Pace Car for the 1985 series of the International Race of Champions. It was the only truck to ever pace an IROC race, and it was the only El Camino to ever pace a professionally sanctioned race. It was also featured in the February 1986 issue of Super Chevy magazine in a two page article. IROC-S #001 was outfitted with an all-aluminum 350, roll bar with strobe lights, strobes in the head and taillights, custom candy paint, hand-painted decals, 16” Center Line wheels with one-off Goodyear tires, and an auxiliary oil pressure gauge. Choo Choo produced approximately 15 IROC-S replica editions to be sold to enthusiasts. IROC-S #001 remained in Choo Choo’s possession and was not sold until the company went out of business. IROC-S #001 only has approximately 1,500 original miles on the odometer. See www.iroc-s.com for more info.

1986 Indianapolis Track service El Camino
In 1986 the Chevrolet Corvette was the Official Pace Car of the 1986 Indy 500. A special yellow and black Track Service El Camino was built to perform various duties during the race. It featured an all-aluminum 350, roll bar with strobe lights, large decals, 16” Center Line rims, and an auxiliary oil pressure gauge. This Indy Track Service El Camino remained in Choo Choo’s possession and was not sold until the company went out of business. At that time, it and IROC-S #001 were both sold to the same private collector. The Indy and #001 remained in the same collection until they were sold and separated in 2008.

I’m sure I have forgotten a few things, so everyone please feel free to chime in and contribute.
Can anybody help translate this choochoo id plate?

·
Registered
111 Posts
not much to translate - finished in april of 87 and bottom numbers are the end of the VIN

sticker is orig, need more details on the car to help

581 - 600 of 600 Posts