El Camino Central Forum banner
621 - 640 of 650 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
I’m back with my the 4th Choo Choo I’ve owned. It’s an 85 that was originally black and silver. I purchased it in Oklahoma last March from a 90-something year old gentleman who worked for GM. He was the second owner and had it since 87. You may have seen it listed on Facebook a year ago… its the one thats been painted burgundy in place of the original silver. The gentleman told me the silver was faded out by the last 90s and instead of painting it back silver he preferred burgundy to match the buckets. It has 89k original miles and had seen limited usage the last decade.

Ive slowly been getting it back in show shape and just got it back from my body man after doing some minor repairs. When I had seen the vehicle originally on Facebook I wasn’t sure about the color… after seeing it in person I realized I liked the burgundy, too, so I leaned in on the inverse paint and had silver pin stripes done around the burgundy and had the paint scheme corrected on the tailgate. This is my first one that has the pseudo side pipes and original chrome tips.

Ive had some form of a g body since my first car but never found the right vehicle for the Monte checkerboard wheels before this one. I know the mods won’t be to everyone’s liking, but I think they work well together.

Ive widdled down my El Camino collection and plan to hang onto this one for a while.
Font Electronic device Tree Plant Receipt

Car Vehicle Photograph Grille Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
9 Posts
Choo Choo Customs info

the top line - Jan., 1984 would be the month and year CCC was completed.

CCC - Choo Choo Customs /

E - El Camino series DS -Direct or Drop shipped; Did not go to dealership first-assembly plant to CCC.

035 - the 35th El Camino CCC built; all decals are in numerical order /

I put the 6 X's in rather than the VIN numbers.
Wow real close to mine, 032 December of 1983. Was a factory Diesel converted to 403 Olds gas engine, anyone
hear of another Diesel Choo Choo?

· Registered
9 Posts
There is no RPO code for a Choo Choo Custom. That sticker lists all the codes for that vehicle as built.
The Choo Choo Custom (CCC) package was an add-on to a finished, factory El Camino (EC). It was strictly an appearance package primarily consisting of an aerodynamic nose, ground effects appliances, and identifying stickers. As it was explained to me, Chevrolet wanted dealers to use base ECs for CCC conversions. So, officially, no SS models (RPO Z15) were to be converted into CCCs. However, a very small amount (3 known) of SSs with RPO Z15 were converted into CCCs. Mine is one of those.

There are others here who can explain better, clarify, or correct these statements but, I hope this helps a little.
My 1984 Choo Choo has an Z15 on the RPO sheet. number 032 December 1983.

· Registered
9 Posts
I noticed this time in his ad he mentioned that it is a Z15 Choo Choo. Sounds like a member contacted him LOL. This topic has been a point of interest lately, so it got me curious and I looked at my Choo Choo books; I believe I have this whole 'Z15 shouldn't be a Choo Choo' thing figured out. While looking at the sales brochures issued to the dealers by Choo Choo for the 1983 and 1984 model years, I noticed that both specifically state on the bottom right " NOT AVAILABLE WITH D91-Conquista, Z15-Super Sport, Z16-Royal Knight, 5.7L V8 Diesel." However, I noticed that this specified NOTE is not listed on the 1985 and later dealer brochures. Furthermore, all of the confirmed Z15 Choo Choos that have been located were all, to my knowledge, 1985's or later. So I believe I have solved this mysetery...the Z15 Choo Choo was not so much an ordering mistake, rather it was a change in the rules that allowed it to happen starting in 1985. Is a Z15 Choo Choo a cool conversation starter? I say yes; but I'm not so sure that it adds any more value.

This is what it says on the 1983 and 1984 brochures.

Then you can see on the 1985 brochure, those exclusions are gone.

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Another possibility is the customer wanted to order a diesel or Z15 and the dealer said ‘let’s try it’ and it wasn’t rejected. Once it arrived in Chattanooga, the guys there said ‘oh well!’ and removed the header panel and chin spoiler and did their thing.
I don’t see any reason other than image not to convert a diesel (and they did convert six cylinder Caminos). The Z15 package might add a problem for Choo Choo Customs in that they’d have to paint the nose two colors unless the Z15 was a one color paint override. Same with Conquista (but so far I haven’t seen a Chooch with Conquista).
Patrick

· Registered
9 Posts
Gents, and i hope the guy with the list can chime in. Check this link:

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-el-camino/6618096526.html

Guy is claiming it was his dads. Said dealer in Hampton Va "sold his dad the Choo Choo package" and dad said he didn't want the sidepipes.

The car has a 55/45 bench seat.
Has an SS above the glove box, but no train emblem.

Obviously, no center console.
You can see the fiberglass nose.
Sent pic of the sticker to my buddie (who is looking for one), it appears accurate and aged with the word "affect".
Of course, the engine has been changed.
Says he has the hood scoop.
Thats all hfacts I know or see from the one pic.

It doesn't pass the smell test for me. Did they ever make an SS with bench seat? My Choo Choo doesn't have the SS emblem above glove box but has the train.
Could have the customer, (the dad) have been given a choice of deleting the sidepipes?

How did GM select the cars to go to CC Customs? Were they sent to dealer first, then off to CCC, thus giving the dad a chance to delete the pipes? Or were they sent by GM, to the CCC, converted, then sent of to dealers to place on the lot. Did the dealers ever have a say on what color, etc., they received?

The sticker is a mystery. But Ive always said those would have been easily made on a good printer, heck, we can print dollar bills. I wouldn't bet on a CC based on sticker alone. I'd need to hear or see other stuff. Just my opinion.

Opinions? We're already staying away from this one. I don't stay up with this thread completely, its pretty long. But when I was buying mine a couple years ago I read up to that date.

Thanks, Gary B.
More rarities My 1985 SS RPO Z15, Diesel, bench seat, dual battery trays, 403 Olds gas conversion. Power Brake Hydra Boost (only availible in Diesel. N in Vin # (Diesel) recert decal 032 December 1983. Factory 2 tone so no mouldings. Does anyone have a set of coffon rails for sale. Has anyon ever heard of a Diesel CCC?

· Registered
9 Posts
Saw the Choo Choo today. It’s legit. Hasn’t been started in a while. Only surface rust, no major issues except for the fact is has sat.
Also, bad info...it’s an ‘86, not ‘87.
here is are some photos for ya.
This is from an estate where the owner has passed.
Still trying to determine value.
Body panels solid, no rust at bottom of doors, wheel well, etc...
No sign of rust repair.
small dent lower drivers qtr
Side pipes
Front end (2 one in bed is fiberglass)
Door handle graphics
Choo Choo embalm on dash
Stickered

Not sure if it runs yet.

What do you all think?

View attachment 137676 View attachment 137677 View attachment 137678 View attachment 137679 View attachment 137680 View attachment 137681
View attachment 137682 View attachment 137683
Saw the Choo Choo today. It’s legit. Hasn’t been started in a while. Only surface rust, no major issues except for the fact is has sat.
Also, bad info...it’s an ‘86, not ‘87.
here is are some photos for ya.
This is from an estate where the owner has passed.
Still trying to determine value.
Body panels solid, no rust at bottom of doors, wheel well, etc...
No sign of rust repair.
small dent lower drivers qtr
Side pipes
Front end (2 one in bed is fiberglass)
Door handle graphics
Choo Choo embalm on dash
Stickered

Not sure if it runs yet.

What do you all think?

View attachment 137676 View attachment 137677 View attachment 137678 View attachment 137679 View attachment 137680 View attachment 137681
View attachment 137682 View attachment 137683
Looks like it could be an 1987 Pretty late in the year to be a 1986

· Deputy National Director
10,635 Posts
More rarities My 1985 SS RPO Z15, Diesel, bench seat, dual battery trays, 403 Olds gas conversion. Power Brake Hydra Boost (only availible in Diesel. N in Vin # (Diesel) recert decal 032 December 1983. Factory 2 tone so no mouldings. Does anyone have a set of coffon rails for sale. Has anyon ever heard of a Diesel CCC?
bench seat is not rare
dual battery trays came stock with the diesels (can't remember where I saw that info)
seen a few of the factory Diesel SS
there was 571 diesels LF9 made in 1983
there was 98 diesels LF9 made in 1984
So there is no info on any choo choo diesels
Most of the people that have been posted choo choo info on this site is no longer signing on

· Registered
14 Posts
Here are some pics of my 84 including the badge. Any prior info anyone has on this I would greatly appreciate. The engine has about 1/2 the smog stuff removed. All that is literally being corrected in the shop now.
[email protected]

Attachments

621 - 640 of 650 Posts