El Camino Central Forum banner

Choo Choo Customs Info

250K views 664 replies 116 participants last post by  Old Bear 
#1 · (Edited)
There seems to be a lot more interest regarding Choo Choo Customs El Caminos these days, and subsequently more questions from members. I figured I would start a thread and list all of the information I have gathered (with the help of others) over the years regarding Choo Choo El Caminos. This is just a list of information that I have gathered over the years via online research, other enthusiasts, and former Choo Choo Customs employees. If I have made a mistake with any of the information and another member knows something more accurate, please feel free to correct me for the sake of bettering everyone’s knowledge on this subject. Anyone else please feel free to add content to this thread that I have not listed, or that you feel is substantial.

Choo Choo Customs was a vehicle customization/conversion company based out of Chattanooga , TN that began building conversion vans in 1975. Choo Choo Customs first started converting El Caminos into Designer Series SS models in 1983. Some enthusiasts liken the Choo Choo El Camino to other conversion vehicles manufactured by companies such as Mark III or Southern Comfort, but in actuality the Choo Choo converted El Camino was more similar to the SLP Camaro SS and Trans Am WS6 of the 1990’s and 2000’s. I say this because the Choo Choo El Camino was NOT a dealer option, nor could you bring your own El Camino to Choo Choo to be converted into an SS. Chevrolet contracted with Choo Choo to build these El Caminos as the ‘SS’ version; similar to how SLP converted V8 equipped Camaros and Trans Ams into SS’s and WS6’s. No, Choo Choo did not make any performance modifications to the El Caminos like SLP made to the Camaro and Trans Am, but my point is that both companies were contracted by GM to create an “SS” version of each vehicle.

Up until 1983, Chevrolet offered their own Super Sport version of the El Camino (RPO code Z15). The Z15 Super Sport maintained the stock El Camino nose, and received a two-tone paint job, large door and tailgate Super Sport decals, black quarter window trim, a front air dam, and a dashboard emblem. However, in 1984 the RPO Z15 remained an option, but all exterior Super Sport decals were removed by Chevrolet. The name of the Z15 option was also changed from ‘Super Sport’ to ‘SS Décor package.’ I’m assuming this was done so that the Z15 package did not compete with the Choo Choo Customs SS option. Between 1983 and 1987 approximately 2,200 (educated estimate) El Caminos were converted into the Designer Series SS by Choo Choo Customs.

All Choo Choo Customs El Caminos received a driver’s door jam Re-Certification decal which listed that particular vehicle’s sequential build number, year code, and the last six numbers of the vehicles VIN. Note: A reproduction Re-Certification decal is offered for sale online; it is a poor re-make of the original, so when buying an El Camino that is represented as a real Choo Choo, inspect the decal thoroughly to make sure it is original.

1983 was the year with the fewest Choo Choo El Caminos produced (approximately 22 units or less). Choo Choo Customs continued to sell their El Camino conversion parts for several years after El Camino production ended. Choo Choo went out of business in the mid 2000s. At that time, Honest Charley’s Speed Shop (also based out of Chattanooga , TN ) assumed a portion of Choo Choo’s employees and El Camino parts, which they still sell today. The original polyurethane Choo Choo nose is no longer produced, but Honest Charley’s kept the original mold and continues to produce the nose out of fiberglass.

The following GM RPO options were required on an El Camino in order to be converted into a Choo Choo SS:
-ZJ7 rally wheels w/ white lettered tires
-D35 Sport Mirrors
-V08 Heavy-Duty Cooling

The Choo Choo El Camino SS package included the following features:
-Special Aerodynamic Polyurethane Front Nose
-Special Machine Turned Aluminum Side Moldings (1983 – 1985 only)
-SS Door, Nose, and Tailgate Decals
-Designer Series Door Handle Inserts
-Choo Choo Customs Train Emblem on Dashboard

The following were options offered by Choo Choo that could be ordered on the SS (availability varies by year):
-Choo Choo Customs Steering Wheel
-15x7 Western Star Aluminum Wheels
-Glass Moon Roof
-Custom Two-Tone Paint with Hand Painted Accent Striping (1985 – 1987 only)
-Special Cowl Induction Style Hood
-Shielded Sporty Side Pipes
-Roof Airfoil Wing (1983 only)

SEE PAGE 2

See less See more
#36 ·
Where can you get a model pace car of the IROC-S. That they used at the races. :nanawrench:
Unfortunately there isn't one. I tried making one using a basic Ertl Choo Choo El Camino model kit I got from Ebay, but unfortunately my model-making skills are limited :banghead:. In the overall picture of famous Pace Cars the IROC-S is a relative unknown when compared to the Camaro and Corvette Pace Cars, so I wouldn't expect to see any die-cast models of it anytime soon. But I'd sure like to see one made one day.

#35 ·
choo choo customs info

Wayne, go to-bay, enter El Camino SS Choo Choo, or El Camino dvd, it's on both listings.

#37 ·
Here is a photo of the commemorative 1984 'St Louis Drive Away' event decal that was placed on the tailgates of the 120 Choo Choos that were involved in the event. These 120 Elkys can also be identified by the STL-XXX number on the Re-Cert decal.

#38 ·
E-Man, nice article. I knew some of this but you helped clarify what options came on the Choo Choo SS.

My particualr car was not fully original when I got it and have since modified the drivetrain somehwat.

I'll take a picture of the door re-cert tag and send it to you.

Bruce

#39 ·
choo choo customs info

BASSr, thanks for pic of your recert decal. It has been added to my file. anyone else want to contribute?

#55 ·
BASSr, thanks for pic of your recert decal. It has been added to my file. anyone else want to contribute?
My 87 is a mutt now but it's a real Chooch never the less. It seams to be sporting the Iroc service vehicle paint scheme. It will be going in for new paint when finances permit but it will be done in the same colors and style.

Ang.

#44 ·
87 choo

e man i have 87 choo original with side pipes white color blue interior great condition just like factory i live in southern ca i never see them around here how rare are they should i change color or leave as is whats worth more im getting pushed to sell it i dont want to but if i have to i dont want to give it away im not sure how this site is used but u seem like an expert so i value your input thanks david

#46 · (Edited)
e man i have 87 choo original with side pipes white color blue interior great condition just like factory i live in southern ca i never see them around here how rare are they should i change color or leave as is whats worth more im getting pushed to sell it i dont want to but if i have to i dont want to give it away im not sure how this site is used but u seem like an expert so i value your input thanks david
They are quite rare...somewhere around 2,000 were built between 1983-1987. That's extremely rare when you compare the Choo Choo to it's Chevrolet cousin, the 1983-1988 Monte Carlo SS, of which over 150,000 were made. A lot of the Choo Choos (along with other Elcos) were used as trucks, and therefor a lot of them led harsh lives and have met the crusher by now. If you like your Choo Choo (which is all that really matters) and it is in good shape, I say keep it. Their values went down a bit when the market crashed a few years ago (along with just about every other car), but they will bounce back with the economy.

#45 ·
choo choo customs info

David, I posted a note on your other thread. I have 9 1987's listed in my data base, 4 are two-tone and the other 5 are all white/ blue. Don't change anything. Remember, it's only original once. Also, CCC's usually list for 30% more than a base El Camino of the same year.

#47 ·
Very informative. I'm glad you posted the info on the remakes on the Choo Choo Customs label in the door jam after reviewing mine everything matches up. In regards to the front end however my car was clearly in a wreck and is peiced together in a frankenstien fashion. I am trying to tackle the restoration process but my funds are pretty low currently to say the least. Curious though, whats the best way for me to figure out exactly what kind of engine I have in there?

#48 ·
WOW E-MAN !!! That is some great work and very much appreciated by all !! I especially appreciate it since I own a 86 CCC and am so proud of it . I feel so fortunate to have found such a super condition car and its my wife and I's baby ! I recently took the seats and carpet out to install sound deadener in the floor board and could not believe my eyes ! It was absolutely beautiful,no rust ,no damage of any sort and paint in fantastic condition . Same goes for under the bed paint and upholstery in the baggage area,just beautiful. I don't know how I lucked up on such a great car but I'm very thankful . Keep up the great work !! WP

#49 · (Edited)
Just wanted to make a link in this thread for anyone interested in Choo Choos to:

The sites main focus is on the IROC-S Pace Car and the Indianapolis Track Service Choo Choos, but it also has some great photos and information on all Choo Choos. There is also copies of original Choo Choo Customs brochures, as well as some magazine articles featuring Choo Choos. There are separate write-ups and pages for:
-IROC-S Pace Car #001
-The IROC-S replica editions
-Indianapolis Track Service El Camino
You can also watch the entire '1984 St Louis Drive Away' video

FYI the site is owned/operated by a former ECC member and El Camino owner, not myself. I merely contribute information, photos, research, etc.​

#50 ·
Hi I'm new to this but I have a quston i have a 1985 el camino choo choo custom and it has the door jam sticker and I wonted to no can aney one tell me if this is an authentic sticker of is it a phony that some one put there
Thans in advanced
Heres a pic of the sticker
[/IMG]

#52 ·
Yep, it's real. The date on the first line is the completion date of the conversion to a CCC. bottom line: CCC (Choo Choo Customs)/ EDS5 (E is for El Camino in the CCC decal system, F was for Chevy P/U's; D is for Dealer delivery(not a dropped ship unit); S-?; 5 (1985 model year); 726 (726th unit built);908773 (last 6 digits of VIN); jl (perhaps a CCC employee). NOW the EDS is an assumption on my part and so is the jl. I have a "registry" of CCC's that are listed by decals. Also tracking interio & exterior colors. tours has been added to the list-thanks for the picture.

#54 ·
1986 ccc?

Amazing thread! I joined just to be able to post here! I bought an El Camino last June (2011) and I'm pretty sure it's a CCC - it has the nose, the train on the dash, and re-cert tag in the door. It's white ext/blue int. and in decent shape. I live in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania and figured the small car dealership couldn't possibly have something so special on the lot so I've been hoping to find someone to verify it.

#63 ·
Amazing thread! I joined just to be able to post here! I bought an El Camino last June (2011) http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad272/csflinn/El Camino/ElCamino.jpg
Caitlin - for whatever reason you joined... we're glad you're here.

You'll find our club to be an amazing resource for not only technical info but also as a place to make new friends with similar interests and to find opportunities to meet them at shows and cruise nights in your area (no matter how far out in the hills you may be !)

So WELCOME Caitlin. there are 2 Deputy Directors in Pennsylvania and I would encourage you to contact one of them to find out more about our club in your area Mark Turner "72sselky52" - PA - Deputy Dir. (east)and Bill Jackson 'billyjack" - PA - Deputy Dir. (west)

Once again - welcome

#56 ·
Sorry for the second post but I forgot to add that I read some where and please correct me if I'm wrong, though it's not on my car only the 87's had the choo choo train decal similar to the one on the tail gate under the SS on the drivers side front bumper just under the head lights.
Ang.

#59 ·
Congrats Caitlin, it is a true Choo Choo Custom. BUT, keep in mind that nearly all parts to build a CCC clone are available on E-bay or aftermarket. That is how I built mine.The CCC repo decal being sold on E-bay has incorrect wording. How about a full size picture of your CCC.

#61 ·
Thanks Wayne. If its not to much to ask could you send a picture. As I said I only read about it and never saw its proper placement. I'd like to add it to mine when I get it done.
Ang.

#68 ·
choo choo customs info

Yes caitlin, it is a real CCC. The recert decal tells the story. However, the "SS" on the nose should be below the grill. Otherwise,it's a great looking CCC. 84