El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many were made? Does anyone really know for sure? I going to try and collect re certified decal numbers and put them in a file by year. Perhaps this will shed some light on how many were made. There is a silver foil repo decal that has been sold on E-bay with the numbers CCC/E6-1661, currently there is a decal with no numbers being offered also.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
How many were made? Does anyone really know for sure? I going to try and collect re certified decal numbers and put them in a file by year. Perhaps this will shed some light on how many were made. There is a silver foil repo decal that has been sold on E-bay with the numbers CCC/E6-1661, currently there is a decal with no numbers being offered also.
Here are the production numbers that have been listed on the internet from different sites: *Production figures for Choo-Choo Customs El Camino SS (unaudited figures): 1983 - 587, 1984 - 1309, 1985 - 1198, 1986 - 995, 1987 - 861 (total of 4950)

However, I think these listed numbers are incorrect by a big margin. If you break down the re-certification decal it reads like this:
Section 1) CCC = Choo Choo Customs
Section 2) Middle digits (your example: E6-1661) E6 indicates 1986, and 1661 indicates the 1661 Choo Choo El Camino built.
OTHER YEAR CODES:
EGM or EDS – 1984
EBP5 - 1985
E6 - 1986
E7 – 1987
Section 3)the last six numbers on the decal correspond with the last six numbers of the converted vehicle's VIN.

All of the middle digits I found have been in numerical order according to year and production number. In other words, on 1984 cars the digits might read somewhere around EGM-300, then in 1985 the middle digits might read EBP5-900, then in 1986 they might be E6-1661. The production number increases in sequence with the model year. The highest number I have seen was on a 1987 Choo Choo El Camino built in 02/1987 that read E7-1982. According to these sequential numbers, I believe that only around 2,000 Choo Choos were built between 1983 - 1987, as opposed to the 4,950 listed online. I have no idea where the 4,950 number came from, but I don't believe it. Somewhere around 2,000 is more accurate.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My numbers show a sequential build as well. I agree with E-Man that the 4950 number is bogus and 2000 is probably a more true number.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
My numbers show a sequential build as well. I agree with E-Man that the 4950 number is bogus and 2000 is probably a more true number.
I'm starting to think that the 4,950 number represents ALL Choo Choo vehicles built between 1983 - 1987 (including El Caminos, vans, trucks, etc). I think whoever posted the 4,950 number online mistakingly assumed those were all El Caminos, but the sequential build numbers on the decals definetely put the El Camino build number around 2,000. Have you found a re-cert decal from a 1983? I couldn't find a photo of one online, so I don't know the build date code from the middle digits for that year.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing on a 1983 recert decal yet. I have a nephew and cousin helping me search.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
E-Man, here is a start for 1983. I have a recert decal that reads: Jan 1984, EGM-52, it's a white and blue unit .So, perhaps the first 50 or so were made in 1983. Now here are a couple of questions for you. Were the CC Custom rims first offered in 1986? The first CC Custom special two tone paint scheme that I have seen is also on a 1986 unit.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
E-Man, here is a start for 1983. I have a recert decal that reads: Jan 1984, EGM-52, it's a white and blue unit .So, perhaps the first 50 or so were made in 1983. Now here are a couple of questions for you. Were the CC Custom rims first offered in 1986? The first CC Custom special two tone paint scheme that I have seen is also on a 1986 unit.
I just found a decal list my father compiled from about 25 Choo Choo Elkys. It appears some years had several possible year identifiers on the decal:
1983 - Unknown
1984 - EGM or EDS
1985 - EBP5 or EDS5
1986 - E6 or DE6
1987 - E7
There may be another identifier for 1987, I just haven't seen one yet. Im not sure the reason for the different identifiers for the same year. That's interesting that #52 was a 1984. That explains why you rarely find a 1983 Choo Choo; evidently there were only around 50 built that first year.

The two-tone paint and special Choo Choo rims were definetely offered in 1985, 1986, and 1987. Im almost positive they were not offered prior to '85, but Ill have to try and find my '84 brochure to confirm that. http://iroc-s.com/Site/Magazine%20Articles/Choo%20Choo/1985%20Choo%20Choo%20El%20Camion%20SS%20Brochure.pdf

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some research late last night. The mag style wheels referred to in the '85 CCC catalog are Western aluminum spoke wheels. Check out this recert decal info: July 1984 CCC/CC4-784/182021, it's for a 1984 Chevy C-10 crew cab pick-up. I think the "784 sequence number" proves that the 1984 CCC production number of 1198 is for all CCC conversions, and NOT just El Caminos.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts

Here is an interesting re-cert decal I'm sure you would like to see. I found this on one of the 1984 'St Louis Drive Away' Choo Choo El Caminos that was on Autotrader last month. Beneath the Vehicle Type line it reads: STL-001, STL indicating it was part of the St Louis (STL) dealer Drive Away promotion, and Im assuming the 001 indicates it was #1 of the 120 built for the event. Here's the thread I wrote on it: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=49804
Note: this vehicle was a 1984 model and the year code is 'EBP.'

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a different year code for sure. I have a "STL drive away" decal on the tailgate of my '84. When I'm at car shows I have an 8' X 10" frame picture with STL story on it. I'm going to try and re-do it, an add this decal pic. My recent find is recert decal CCC/E7-1982/906324/Feb 1987, black ext, grey int.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
The unfortunate thing about trying to gather Choo Choo Customs related information is that because the company no longer exists, records and information is scarce. I've had email and telephone conversations with a couple of former Choo Choo executives, but I try not to bother them too often. Last year, some of the guys at Honest Charley (who used to work at CCC) sent me some IROC-S pace car related letters and photos that they found in an old CCC file cabinet, but I dont think they have any more CCC documents lying around.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far I'm having an enjoyable time searching for "real" Choo-Choo Custom El Caminos. It's amazing how many people believe the "4950" number as a true El Camino CCC conversion number. I guess it's because it's been on the internet so long, and no one has really challenged it. I e-mailed a guy Friday who has DE-1333, and he thought his CCC was for the 1986 conversion year. He had no idea that it was for the entire CCC run. I'm thinking somewhere around 2100-2200 CCC's is a fair guess at this point.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
choo-choo numbers

I received your PM of 6/20, and sent a reply. nothing received after that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For what it is worth, I have a 1986 Choo Choo Customs El Camino with a Recert tag marked:

May 1, 1986
CCC/DE6-1330-913150

It also has a number below the line that appears to be a 16, but it is hard to read.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
choo-choo numbers

thanks for providing the information from your recert decal. I have entered it in my research file. The number below the bottom line is probably the initials "lo",as I have seen them on two other decals. At this time I do not know what they represent. Could I get some colors - Exterior/interior? thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
thanks for providing the information from your recert decal. I have entered it in my research file. The number below the bottom line is probably the initials "lo",as I have seen them on two other decals. At this time I do not know what they represent. Could I get some colors - Exterior/interior? thanks.
Hi,

This was originally a Black exterior car with medium gray interior. It has bucket seats and floor shifter. I have owned this El Camino for many years (purchased in '91) when it had 4000 miles on it. It was owned by a guy that passed away and his relatives did not want it. It now has around 66,000 miles. I have painted it a very dark blue (almost black) and am in the process of re-covering the seats with the same suede gray material and replacing the carpet. The interior wasn't in bad shape, but I found the original material at Carlisle a few years ago and decided to replace it. I've alos put a set of 17" aluminum wheels on it and I'd like to install a LT1 or LS1 engine at some point.

Thanks for the info on the initials below the number, I couldn't really tell what they were. Hopefully someone here will know what they mean.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
choo-choo numbers

Thank you for the info on the colors. Now I need another favor. Could you please re-check the recert decal. Could CCC/DE6-1330 be 1336? The reason I ask is there is an Elky currently for sale on E-bay with the recert number CCC/E6-1330. I've never come across two decals with the same build number.

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
The number below the bottom line is probably the initials "lo",as I have seen them on two other decals. At this time I do not know what they represent.
I always perceived those two digits under the line as '10.' I haven't figured out what it means, but I always thought it was the number 10.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts