El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a pair of original side exhausts and chrome tips for a Choo Choo. I've done the front end conversion, and I liked the looks of the pipes on the sides. What I don't know is how they sound, and if anyone has experienced any clearance problems. I'm concerned that I may not like the noise in the cab if they ar too load. What is your experience with these?

I plan on taking my ride to a muffler shop to get the pipes re-routed to the sides. They will probably want to sell me new mufflers, etc at the same time. Since the beast is old, I'll likely go ahead and put new cat and muffler on- something a little throaty would be nice. Maybe the DynaMax.

Your thoughts, opinions and experiences are always welcome input. Sure wish a site like this had been available when I restored my '63 Avanti!

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the original Choo Choo side exhaust was non-functional and for appearance only ??

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi---I just installed Dynomax full lenth headers----no cats--true dual and H pipe and Dynomax super turbos---used the G force dual hump mount and it is awesome --not loud very deep tone-------------Pete NYC

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still need help

Well, I guess functional may be a relative word. I know that they are not like Lakes Pipes, but the ones I bought provide an exit for the exhaust on the side of the car, just in front of the rear wheels. They are 80 inches long, and attach under the door. They came with two chrome exhaust tips that are rectangle in shape, about 8 inches by 2 inches, divided into 4 chambers. It looks like the exhaust pipes are just re-routed from the mufflers to these tips, rather than to the back of the vehicle. I have seen these for sale at Honest Charley's (http://honestcharley.com/ec body styling.htm)

What I'm interested in is if anyone else has re-routed the exhaust in this fashion, and if they had any problems with fumes in the vehicle, excessive noise, ground clearance, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts