Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Traditional Cowl Hood

Votes: 8 66.7%
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
67 El Camino
20 Posts
Well guys I personally don't like things that don't function...I got a 67 super sport Hood on my 67 El Camino that is,just looks ..but since I believe in shes mine forever,and custom work.I went ahead and cut the vents out and cut the hood since it's an aftermarket hood and soon I'll be in the process of fabricating an induction system to breathe in from those vents... I like the factory choo choo custom look if you can make it look one piece with your hood like seamless. And then breathe in from up there with an introduction setup...and yes cowl hoods are badass. But that factory look always has me,as long as it's functional...here's my work.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
but since I believe in shes mine forever, and custom work. I went ahead and cut the vents out and cut the hood
I agree with this philosophy. I've never bought a car with the the next owner in mine. Some times it's cost me a great deal of money, but I have never regretted it. Please keep us posted with your hood modifications, as well as turning them functional. I can honestly say, I've never seen it done, and it's a REALLY cool idea!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
What about a trans-am style shaker, using the Choo-Choo scoop. Could be functional or not and still look 'stock' ish, but not. The Mustangs had some lower rise scoops, like the '68 twins, not nearly as nutty as those W-30 twins. There are options other than the norm.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Had a decent looking bolt on scoop on my '68 Torino GT. Don't know if it would work with the center ridge in the hood of the G-Bodies.

Reactions: bikerlaw

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I've done Shaker Scoops to death (see pics). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Shaker Scoops, but I wanted something else this time around. My Ranchero had a factory stock Shaker, and I added a shaker to my Big Block 4-Speed 1970 Camaro. And one of the big issues with Shakers, is the air cleaner base only accepts Quadra-Bog carbs, and I'm currently running a Holley. I know, there are aftermarket Air Cleaner bottoms, but that's yet another expense. At this point, I'd like more of a fixed scoop, versus a T/A Shaker. But I'm fickle, I may change my mind. LOL ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
That W-30 style hood is greatly exaggerated from the originals '70-'72 scoops. The originals were only about 2" high. I have a '71.

A scoop more similar to the original W-30 would look good.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,094 Posts
I had the Choo Choo hood on my '87 Choo Choo and did not like it changed to the 2" COWL Steel hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 2" cowl hood from OPGI is totally functional. The stock air cleaner fits inside the opening but would be a better fit offset a couple of inches closer to the firewall.
The steel is similar thickness to the original hood and overall quality is great. I'm not a body guy so my frustration is gaps. I verified (with my tape measure) the OPGI hood is dimensionally similar to the original.
It's a good alternative & I love the look!

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've come to the conclusion that BOTH options can look good. Because of my paint, and the difficulty I would have matching it, I'm gonna likely just do the ChooChoo/442 style bolt on bulge, and have a shop try to match the paint.
My current priority is the rear end. But as soon as I finish that, I want to finish up the truck with it's last few things. The scoop being on that list. Thanks everyone for all the great input so far!!!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Here's a vote for old school louvers! Had some on my old 75. Functional too! Finding someone to do them is another story though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bikerlaw, I agree that both look good. I do think paint schemes make a difference. Here is mine.
Ms Elly front drivers side.JPG

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ol 'D,

I had 1950 Mercury back in high school that had a louvered hood. with no catch pan or whatever. Looked great. However, in Florida we have a lot of rain and when the car was parked sometimes the engine got quite wet..

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Bikerlaw, I agree that both look good. I do think paint schemes make a difference. Here is mine.
View attachment 135030
That hood looks awesome! That truck, and trucks like it are the problem....I love them!!!

Years ago, I put a set of Pontiac GTP louvers in the cowl hood on my 5.0 Mustang. I really loved that look. I originally installed them to help with heat. Because no matter what I did, after about 10 minutes in stopped traffic meant I had to turn off the A/C....And I get the ChooChoo scoop isn't functional, but I really like it, just the same. I just hope I can match my paint! LOL

·
Registered
196 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts