El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new valve covers installed and in order to show them off I want to change the wire routing.
I have the Moroso
wire looms. They route the wire around the back then along the side of the valve cover. This makes for a slightly longer run of the front 2 wires on each side.

Anyone have advice as to how to pick a set of wires that have this longer length? I know Taylor wires state over covers or under headers. One seems too short and the other too long...

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 for buying the universal and making your own to length, I can't recall the last time I bought wires that were pre-made.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Big Block wires are usually a little longer..
80's 454 truck for big thick straight boots on the plug end, 90* HEI cap end..

x2 build them, they come out prefect..
get the Crimp Dies and use double sided tape or RTV to mount them in a Vice,
works good, just have to let the RTV dry over-nite..
cheaper than the 100$ crimpers..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Buy the universal wire set in the color of choice 8-8.5 mm and a good crimping tool. I have the IWISS ratcheting tool from Amazon for $28.59. It's easier than you think to make your own custom length plug wires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can keep the old wires just in case or use one to practice your crimping skills.

Get some silicon paste to help slide the boots over the wires. Have some paper shop towels nearby cause that stuff is messy but wipes off nicely.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I ordered the universal Taylor wires and routed the wire down the backside of the engine and then alongside the valve covers. Wire separators I used helped dress up the look...at least for my tastes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got some new valve covers installed and in order to show them off I want to change the wire routing.
I have the Moroso
wire looms. They route the wire around the back then along the side of the valve cover. This makes for a slightly longer run of the front 2 wires on each side.

Anyone have advice as to how to pick a set of wires that have this longer length? I know Taylor wires state over covers or under headers. One seems too short and the other too long...
Buy the longest ones so you can get route them far away from exhaust manifolds Lay the wires out along side each other to pick the right ones
And when you run 1-2_3_4. Make sure you use that lower clip to keep them away from actual exhaust pipe.
take your time TD frustrating with sharp edges etc I always do it withOEM replacement wires. Have best results

1 - 13 of 13 Posts