El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. I'm looking for some ideas for what to do with my 80 Elky.
The latest suggestion from friends is to chop it. Does anyone have any pics of a chopped fifth gen Elky? Or if you've seen one, how'd it look?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just want something different

Nothing is wrong with it. It's fairly straight, just my personality to be different. I have a 53 studebaker that I chopped and it looks great! I've never seen a chopped Fifth Gen Elky and want to know if it would look good.
I've always had unusual cars and always made them different than the norm in one way or another. Just wondering if it would look good chopped. If so I may do it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nonononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono! Would you "chop" anything of yours just to be different. Think about it. 8O

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a sex change, just a car. I guess this site is more for the OEM guys. Sorry to bother ya.
One question. Why put a Monte Carlo front end on a perfectly good El Camino? Like the way it looks?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
I haven't seen one chopped but I did see a picture of one with the roof completely removed. From the pics it looked good. Not sure how a chopped one would looked. I think there is a fine line where it would look killer and anywhere else on that line it would look stupid. The problem would be trying to get the killer look the first time.

Don't worry about some of the guys around here. I'm sure I'm upsetting a few with the bumpers and some of the other things I'm doing to mine. Some of what I've seen here I would never do...but then it's everyone's option to do what they want with their vehicals.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
87ElCamino said:
I think it would look great. But, I wouldn't want to do it to my 87. This third gen Elky looks killer.
I like that look also. That is a really nice "looking" job. I wouldn't mind doing that with the 72 I have. Now that I see it, it does look nice. Headroom, that would be my concern. I am a moderately tall person with long legs and I just wouldn't be able to drive something if I had to duck while doing so. Sitting on the floorboard is out of the question. :D

I had some thoughts on extending a cab in one and I would do it to a Fifth Gen because they're easier to get parts for. I didn't want to do it with my 80 I had that project already planned when I thought about it. Not a lot of extension just about a foot or two maybe and making the Rear Wing Windows functional like the vent windows on third gens.

I bet it would be pretty nice chopping a 5th gen.

Hey go for it and by the way.....

Welcome to El Camino Central! Always nice to have new ideas and things to ponder!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Hey, might look pretty cool! Know anyone that can draw an artists concept? I like that 3rd generation pic, but only if the car was set up as a Pro-Streeter. If your good at attempting something like that, than I say go for it. I myself wouldn't, I'd be too afraid I'd turn my Elky into a heap of scrape. Headroom? Not much headroom in a 5th generation to begin with and I'm only 5'8". You might have to do a chop job on your legs too, unless of course your currently working as a circus midget! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Chop your 80 Elky?

Hi Bob -- Plan it out carefully and go for it! Express your individuality and don't worry about some of the verbal abuse here. Cars are for fun and we don't see enough customized Elkys (or other later model cars, for that matter). In the Fifties, we wouldn't dream of being seen on the streets in any car exactly as it came from the factory. Good luck. John

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I saw the chopped black Elky that Ernie showed. I have some other pics of at http://levitanj.home.mindspring.com/carshow03/summernats/page2/page2.html

I didn't find the owner to talk to, but pictures don't do it justice. It looks fantastic. If I had the talent to do it right, I would love a chopped Elky.

Not sure of how the lines on a fifth gen would look, but I would suggest you follow up with "artist concept" sketch idea.

Go for it (hell, thats easy for someone NOT chopping his Elky to say)!

·
Banned
881 Posts
With all of this talk about chopping a 5th gen Elky I decided to do it to my 87 this afternoon. (Slow day at work) I guess it's about a 3-4 inch chop. Hardly took much time either. Here's a picture. :-D

:mrgreen:

·
Banned
881 Posts
T-tops? Drop the suspension? They're both good ideas but there's no more time today...the work day is over and I've got to go home. :-D I'll put it on the schedule for tomorrows work.

:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts