El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

anyone know where you can buy the chrome on the sides of this thing, or is it a custom made deal? i really like how it looks, not to mention it might be a nice quick fix for my door rot.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
What exactly are you looking for, the moulding that runs down the rocker panel, or the moulding that runs the length of the body over the wheel wells? I think that what you may be thinking is chrome in that pic is actually just a blue/silver two tone paint scheme. The Elky in this pic has the stock moulding package for a Elky in the two tone paint scheme. If you already have these pieces, they are made of stainless steel, and can be made to look almost new if you polish them up starting with a gritty compound and working your way to a fine compound using the correct pads on a bench grinder. Eastwood sells a nice kit for this purpose. If you are looking to buy and install these pieces on an Elky that does not currently have them, then Original Parts Group sells the pieces (expensive), but keep in mind they are held on by a plastic clip that is screwed into the sheet metal for the upper moulding and the rocker panel moulding is held on by metal clips, these clips are held on by a small stud that is spot welded to the body. I am sure that there are many other companies that also carry the mouldings, Auto-Parts-For-Less being one (see ECC links page for OEM suppliers), OPG has been getting a lot of bad comments here lately, and I hope they can get their Customer Service Dept straightened out, as I think they carry the widest selection of replacement parts for 5th Gen Elkys. My 84 Elky had these mouldings and I have removed them as preference in appearence. I don't think the rocker panel moulding does much to help the paint from getting chipped, and I think that it may actually be hiding some rust from you guys that have them on. They do look good though with the right paint schemes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts