El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the forums and im currently working on 83 elco just rebuild the engine amd cleaned up some stuff from the engine bay but there still some stuff to be done. Any tips on cleaning specially the firewall it looks ashy any way to clean that up thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
castrol super clean works pretty good for breaking down grease, It will spot the paint if you use It full strengh, wet the areas down first then use the super clean. after you let it sit wash it off, then use WD-40 this will give you a little shine. only do this on a cold engine & outside. remove excess WD-40 before staring you car up. pressurized bug sprayer work good.

·
0 Posts
I always use Simple Green. Cleans aluminum intakes and all with no scrubbing.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Im new to the forums and im currently working on 83 elco just rebuild the engine amd cleaned up some stuff from the engine bay but there still some stuff to be done. Any tips on cleaning specially the firewall it looks ashy any way to clean that up thanks.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk37/vix1112/2012-04-16_22-03-07_932.jpg

On the AC alum. hoses and others use mothers alum, & mag polish mine now look like chrome came out really nice. Same with the trans. lines to the radiator. You will be amazed .:beer: Look at the hose going into the compressor that's when I first started they looked like the crimped fitting but now the fitting looks like the alum hose going into the compressor but even more like chrome after a couple of applications and the master break cyl. I used 000 steel wool real gently. I will get some pic's. of the finished product tommorow.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
Welcome from Florida !! :florida: I use krud kutter !!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice thing about Simple Green is that it doesn't have that solvent smell like others do. I took a cheap toilette scrubbing brush and SG and went to work on mine and it came out pretty good and didn't make the cab smell bad when I run the heater/air.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys. Went to work after reading the post went straight to work and its coming along nice thanks again.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk37/vix1112/2012-04-16_22-03-07_932.jpg

Hay how do you smog that engine it doesn't look anything like mine? Where's all the hoses or how much for don't look does it cost to pass it?
Robert

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the Simple Green Extreme with the Aeronautical spec full strength on the engine. I cut it and use it on my Verde Chrome which is on my Cadillac also. That stuff is really good. You can use it on anything check their website. I don't know who else carries it but I get it from Grainger.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,609 Posts
Victor , Once the firewall is clean you may want to put some paint on it . While it is hard to get to all of it at one time , if you take your time and cover up well it will look good . I did mine in two stages by using coated paper , tape , aluminum foil wrap to cover the irregular shaped hoses , wires etc and it came out nice . Use a paint made for engine compartments available from places like Eastwood or from your local parts store .

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If you use Castrol super clean, besides paint, dont get it on aluminum either.

Dulls it really bad, but a great cleaner.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to use foaming oven cleaner with excellent results, but it is becomming difficult to find it anymore. I now use Simple Green full strength. I saturate as much as possible with the cleaner & then let it sit for a while (usually overnight to a day or two) then I drive the car to the car wash to blast the engine compartment. Works pretty good.

I've also tried Purple Power. It works well also, but is hard on aluminum parts & turns them gray.

~JM~

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Simple Clean / Mothers / Elbow Grease

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
X2:nanawrench:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts