El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember when you could buy clear plastic rock guards that clipped onto your body, No hole drilling?
I am trying to find out if someone is selling them before I make them myself. they were great for freshly painted or restored cars because they were invisible and did the job.
tony

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I cannot find anything on internet I went to Lowes and Picked up some Acrylic plastic and some clips and gonna attempt to make my own. I will take some pics and let everyone knows if it works. That's All Fokes! need some carrots first.
later, tony

·
Registered
110 Posts
The problems with the clear is 2-fold. First, that clear turns yellow very quickly when subject to UV, and looks ugly when that happens, serious pre-mature aging. Second is that thinner acrylics are quite brittle. One good rock and it's a shattered mess. That's why the switch to ABS. Not hard to mold that with a heat gun, so making your own to fit your needs isn't impossible.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I cut my own to fit out of a set I had for my old truck I sold! Made a cardboard template then traced on the mud flap. Could just use some flat stock ABS as well! The black just about disappears, they're held on with file clips! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good job on the diy set!

I’ve been scouring the parts websites the last few days in search of rocker panels, floor boards etc and I believe I did see clip on mud flaps somewhere... if I come across them again I’ll post a link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts