El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,my cap is cracked and I'm trying to see if anyone has any experience with the clear caps and rotors? Is there a difference between the clear and black besides color? Does the clear kind crack easy? Help me out!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,779 Posts
They are all made out of plastic. I guess the only difference is that you can see it arc at night ?? :dontknow:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are all made out of plastic. I guess the only difference is that you can see it arc at night ?? :dontknow:
Would that be better? I just thought a clear one would add a personal touch.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
They are generally made of cheap plastic and give a pretty light show under the hood until they get dirty inside. I'm pretty sure you are more interested in performance, so spend a few extra bucks and buy name brand.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,779 Posts
I would pass on something like that !! I guess it looks pretty !! But I'm not into that !!
I like performance more than something pretty !!
But it's your ride & your decision !!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Beast.. buy one that is made in the good 'ol USA. Too many chinese crapola ignition parts on the shelves at the auto parts stores. Buy MSD and be happy!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
In regard to how it will look, there used to be this cartoon type character in Hot Rod Magazine, called "Stroker McGurk" and his famous saying was, "if it don't go, chrome it"..
In other words, if it's not gonna perform, make it look nice :beer:
Personally I like performance, and people rarely see under may hood anyway :smileyb:

I believe it's good advice to avoid the clear plastic cap, if it's a cheapie part...

·
Registered
643 Posts
The clear one looks cool at first ,till later they get dirty from the inside guess cause of the arc .The inside walls get a black film on them.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
If you need to see sparks to be happy buy a box of wooden matches.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like y'all are saying go with any color besides clear. Thinking the black one will look good since the red one doesn't match the red on my engine. Oh yea,this is the Davis Unified Ignition distributor I got las year. I'm using the stock AC Delco cap and dust cover til the new cap is ordered.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..I remember those clear caps,I had one on my 63 back in high skool days,I had no problem with it except it turn dark after a while,other than that,it work fine,just like a regualr cap,it dose look kinda cool at night seeing the spark flying by inside the cap..:beer:

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Mike, it took me nearly 50 years to memorize the firing order on a SBC. Now you want to change it all around ? Yikes !! Give a brother a break !!:nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Mike, it took me nearly 50 years to memorize the firing order on a SBC. Now you want to change it all around ? Yikes !! Give a brother a break !!:nanawrench:
..I guess 1-3-5-7 is a lot harder to remember than 1-8-4-3...:poke::poke::beer:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
..I guess 2-4-6-8 is a lot harder to remember than 1-8-4-3...:poke::poke::beer:
For some of us "seniors" that could be a mindbender! What do you want, I went to public schools ?:dontknow: LOL Actually, the 6-5-7-2 part is the tough one!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
a bit late, i know, but. Whenever i come across a combination lock i have on any gate, or crate i have, i automatically think: "18 43 65 72 as my first guess...but of course, master locks only have 3 numbers, so that's not gonna help me..." "...then whats the darn number to the combo lock on the shed?..."

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
a bit late, i know, but. Whenever i come across a combination lock i have on any gate, or crate i have, i automatically think: "18 43 65 72 as my first guess...but of course, master locks only have 3 numbers, so that's not gonna help me..." "...then whats the darn number to the combo lock on the shed?..."
my guess would be ..283,,,:texas:

·
Registered
603 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts