El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I have a 85 el camino with a stock 305 5.0l v8 automatic. So far I have been trying to teach myself about cars so i have been working on this.

So the problem is that when i turn the ignition, there is a very fast repetitive clicking noise. i originally thought it was the starter, but then i noticed the clicking seems to be coming from the carb. and the engine wont start. im not sure if it is because of that or the something else.

So far i have stripped my interior and have unpluged all of the interior wiring from the harness. i have put it back together, but it might have something to do with that.

The car has been sitting in my garage, not running, since around november. so it might have something to do with that.

Any help will be MUCHLY appreciated!

Thank you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Check your battery connections and fully charge the battery. The sound you describe could be a lack of power to the starter solenoid.
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Welcome to NECOA, Steve. You most likely have the computer controlled Qjet carb. When the ignition is on there is a clicking sound from that carb, this is normal. When you say "wont start" do you mean, won't turn over or turns over but won't fire up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a fully charged battery. and by battery connections, do you mean terminal connections?

Also, by "won't start" i mean wont turn over. and is the Qjet carb stock?

thanks

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Welcome from Florida !! :florida: Got some pics ??
Maybe you can take the starter & battery and get them tested !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill try to get some pics tomorrow.

and i was thinking about getting the starter tested but when i heard the clicking coming from the carb i was afraid of messing with the starter and having it end up being something completly different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts