El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an 86 El Camino and the climate "option control" is not working. Basically I don't get any air out of my vents when changing the air distribution option on the control. I only get air from the floor boards and defrost. Anyone else have this issue? Is it the control panel or something else I should know about?

Thank you!!! - Mike

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That’s controlled by vacuum lines behind the dash. Could be split or fell off, or the vacuum distribution thingy failing.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I would suspect a vacuum leak. I'm no expert on 1986 GM air conditioning but a lot of those systems used engine vacuum powered actuators to control airflow and temperature blending. Those 34 year old vacuum lines could now be leaky which will leave your blend doors stuck in one setting.

These vacuum lines begin at the engine. Do you have a vacuum canister under the hood? This is often a black, hollow ball with ports.

Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
There’s a great troubleshooting guide that joehawk7 took the time to writeup for us. I used it on my 86 to solve issues I was having. Search for “AC Troubleshooting 5th Gen” and you should find it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I had that problem on my 86 , I replaced the 2 vacuum control valves on the rear of the A/C controls . Cheap easy fix . Just remove the A/C control from dash but not all the way to access valves .

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mike, your problem is either no vacuum at the control panel or a defective actuator. I suggest you search and check out the videos on Youtube by HutchHiPerf, specifically video #46. All of Hutch's videos show him working on his G body 442 which apply to our El Caminos and are worth watching. The last third of video #46 shows him testing the control panel and which actuator controls the defrost and heat distribution. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts