El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep hearing a clunck when going over bumps. Long story short when you pull the rear sideways the pass. side axel moves in and out,thinking this is my clunck? My question is what wears out c-clip,,wheel bearing or rear slop beyond repair? looking for opinions before I tear this apart thanks:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
A small amount of movement and clunk is normal. How much does it move? There are several parts that can wear and cause too much. The axle gear, the carrier, the clip, the spider shaft and the end of the axle itself. The only way to know for sure is to pull the cover off the diff and have a look. You will need to pull the pin and spider shaft out, push the axle in and remove the c clip. Pull the axle out and then remove the axle gear to inspect the back side of the gear and the carrier. I have seen the gear and carrier wear to the point the clip falls off and lets the axle come out going down the highway. The rear has usually been run low on lube when that happens or really had the heck run out of it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks in my opinion it moves way to much. Im leaning toward my 7.5 has seen better days. It also clunks going into gear. Maybe somebody close to me in ohio has a stock 7.5 they dont want? thats in better shape

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
pull the cover it may not be as bad as it sounds. each axle can move in and out between 1/16 and 1/8 in and will make a heck of a clunk when pushed side to side.there are a lot of things that will make it clunk.as stated above it could be worn spiders or pin and clips. it could be worn bushings on the arms or shocks,u joints.check evrything before you start swapping parts. i have a tight one in the shop and will post the pin to axle gap later this morn

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
ok bear in mind this is all brand new parts involved.the gap between axle end and center pin is .006 thou. the c clips are .150 thou. thick and the center pin is .765 thou..and as tight as this is it still clunks when you pull in and out on the axles so when its in a car with all of the weight on it the clunk can be pretty noticable . so before you condemn the rear check it out first. also look for between .006 and .008 backlash in the ring gear with a magnet mount dial indicator. anything more than .008 and the rearend will be noisey. hope this helps

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for quick replies. Great specs ccc will keep those. .006-.008 backlash..Hmm I can move my wheel almost a quarter turn before driveshaft moves. Im thinking no dial indicator needed here. I will look inside just to see what is going on again thanks:You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
that wont tell you anything im afraid .that is taking up all of the slack in the entire rearend doing that.its very hard to tell by that im afraid,try rocking the driveshaft with the parking brake set tight and watch the how much it rocks that will give you a better idea of how much slop is actually there

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting...there may be hope Im going in friday night.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
that should go without saying but a very good point. overlook nothing because what you do just might bite you:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts