El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we ll I was having some problems w/ clutch on my 71 BB ,M22 vehicle when I found the problem. The pivot ball that screws into block broke off (see picture)all of the threads are still in block w/ NOTHING STICKING OUT ABOUT SURFACE to weld on or tap out. I have gone thru 17 drill bits and nothing (milwaukee , dewalt, fastenall brand) will start a hole in broken off bolt. Does anyone know of a drill bit that will drill into harden steel? I cannot even tap a pilot point into bolt. I have the angle solved w/ Harbour frieght 90 degree air drill w/ reverse but without the ability to drill hole to use an extractor of left handed bit I,m stuck. In my small town our local machinist sucks (sorry thats the best I can say about him) but a machinist would know what would work.
Trying to make big show for saturday but hopes are dimming. any and all advice appreciated.
tony
Clarkridge,AR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
Hold a nut in line with the broken piece in the block and weld through the center of the nut yo attach it to what is left of the stud. Weld doesn't really like to stick to cast iron so that is not usually a problem if you get off a little.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I had the same problem on a Pontiac T/A 400. Soak it with PB Blaster or a mix of 1/2 ATF-1/2 Acetone. The good news is that, without its flange, it won’t be tight, so if you can attach to it or notch it it should rotate out. I was able to catch a high spot in the surface and turn it.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My problem is that I do not have enough material sticking out to weld anything. It broke off and left threads only.in block. if it had broke off at shoulder it would be even w/block and I would have chance. even tapping it out is a problem because there is nothing to tap on. It is in hole at lease 3/16' maybe more. when you look at my picture you'll see shoulder is still part of broken off pc. the only other problem is that I painted block same color as vehicle as well as floor boards. I got my pistacios in a vise

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
219 Posts
I'm watching this post closely. I am dealing with a broken bolt that holds the harmonic balancer to the end of the crank. The head snapped off and left nothing but the threads in the end of the crank. I have destroyed the three best "hardened" drill bits I could buy, and they barely scratched what's stuck in the end of the crank. I am to the point that it would be less hassle to just remove the crank, throw it in the trash, and install a new one. This broken bolt has me pretty much F-ed!!!! I hope you come up with a solution!!!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes and NO after burning up 17 bits including 7 cobalt bits I was told of a bracket by Scoggins Dickey that bolts to bell housing and places pivot ball in exact location as factory. Your problem is a really bad one. If you could get a punch in there to mark the spot the bit must follow you could have a chance. I had no room to punch broken bolt.
Good Luck Tony

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Received Scoggins Dickey part today and have attached picture for those in same problem as mine or swapping in later BB or LS where no clutch ball boss is Present.
have a good day

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts