El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my ‘87 the prior owner replaced the stock transmission with a manual transmission (NV3500 from an S-10). He used the linkage pictured below between the master cylinder and the clutch pedal.

I’ve broken it twice now and I think the obvious answer is that the piece isn’t strong enough to handle the force required.

Where the weld is showing, there was a nut and the smaller piece threaded into the larger piece so it could be adjusted, originally the part broke right at the nut, so it was welded back together, a few hundred miles later, it broke at the edge of the weld.

Is this linkage something that anyone recognizes as coming out of a specific vehicle (or vehicles)?
Does anyone have recommendations on where to find a replacement piece?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch master cylinder is centered about 1" below the brake master cylinder and is mounted onto a steel box which squares it relative to the pedals since the firewall isn't.

Looks like this piece would work, I'll call and verify dimensions to confirm it will work with the other elements that are installed. My concern is that notch at the top which prevents the clutch linkage from binding with the brake pedal and linkage. It doesn't look like that element is in the piece http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=7130-125&eq=&Tp= and I don't know what the reasoning behind not having the pedals placed differently was. Maybe the question about placement is the real crux here.

Thanks for the thoughts!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you were doing things from scratch, I like the F-body master cylinder mounted to the firewall; sometimes it's tight next to the booster however.

Also, the Tick aftermarket master to fit the firewall of the F-body has a billet block so a basic "straight-on" master can fit at an angle to a firewall, then add a length of internally threaded rod to reach a stud on the pedal.

Eliminating a z shaped linkage is only going to help...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eliminating the z linkage is becoming higher on the list.

The original piece has been welded (significantly reinforced along the way) so it is back in service for now. Need the car as a DD right now, so once that changes the system will be more thoroughly analyzed and probably changed to a more sturdy and standard design.

·
Registered
450 Posts
just wanna see were the shifter is in relaton to the center consol and seats. i planning a manual trans swap and finding a t5 5 speed out of a camaro is impossible

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah. You'll want a gooseneck shifter, in 3, 5 & Neutral I can't get CDs out of the player and any gear is a reach and a half for me with the seat in the furthest detent, my wife with the seat in the first detent thinks it is perfectly placed though!

I'll try to get some pictures online by the weekend, schedule is a tad hectic (aren't they always).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If you were doing things from scratch, I like the F-body master cylinder mounted to the firewall; sometimes it's tight next to the booster however.

Also, the Tick aftermarket master to fit the firewall of the F-body has a billet block so a basic "straight-on" master can fit at an angle to a firewall, then add a length of internally threaded rod to reach a stud on the pedal.

Eliminating a z shaped linkage is only going to help...
The F-body master is what I used during my build, it bolts right into the hole that the old linkage goes through

1 - 11 of 11 Posts