El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my newly restored 71 Elky (454, m22, w/new clutch and all oem lingages & set to the book) I have only driven about 200 miles over 6 trips. My problem started w/ when cold and running I can get reverse w/o grinding. Once warm FORGETABOUTIT! so after every ride I would adjust clutch a 1/4" out. I have done this everytime. This morning I drove 10 miles to sawbones and I could not get reverse. after i drove thru town and the more I drove the harder it got to shift. On the way home I got a bad vibration that was not there on way into town. when I put clutch in vibration seemed to stop. I have had a vibration each trip so I would check everything and try again. It always starts out good. I have a Zoom diaprham clutch set up w/ factory fork, crossover,adjustment rod, new flywheel. I do not get any slipage! I am beginning to get stumped.
Tony

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too much clearance between the throw-out bearing and the clutch fingers maybe so the clutch isn't fully releasing? I couldn't find any clutch adjustment info. in my GM service manual but I did find instructions for the Hayes clutch I had in my "68 EC w/ M21 Muncie. It says: "adjust adjust throw-out clearance to at least 1/4" between bearing and fingers regardless of floor to pedal clearance". I did that and never a problem with that clutch.

I did learn the hard way to never put synthetic gear oil in an M21! It's too slick for the syncronizers to work properly and the hotter it get the harder it gets to shift. I hope this helps with your problem.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DH, It is worth checking out. My first cross shaft I bought years ago made in taiwan had the arms in wrong positions. you could not tell until I went on web site of 4spd conversions. he has a picture of a whole row of these cross shafts and they were all wrong. he had them laying next to each other. I bought a Gm one from him and the mount for the frame that cross shaft sits into. he had a picture of a bunch of them all wrong. My clutch linkage is straight to motor. I did find something this afternoon. the adjusting rod was loose and backed off. I originally used a nut on both ends but the service manual only shows one nut on radiator side. I am gonna put the two nuts back on and check your idea out.
thanks, Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts