El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how thick the throw out bearing should be on a 1980 manual 4 speed?
Putting trans back in after a few years and the old one I have is a lot thicker then the new one that came with the new clutch.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Three finger plate uses the longer one. Diaphragm type uses the short one. If you put the bell housing on there should be enough room for you to install the bearing and it have play.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it all together and the only way it would release was for me to adjust the link rod almost to it's full length. When I let out the pedal a small amount the clutch would grab.
From all I read I needed to measure every thing. Distance to ball stud to be 4-7/8". Mine is at 4-3/4 Not too off. Fork angle 0-5-7 degree movement. Pedal action not right to have to push it all the way down before it releases...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fork angle 0-5-7 degree movement
Not positive what that means. If you are saying the fork is flat when the free play is taken up (throwout bearing touching the pressure plate) then that's the problem. Look at this article page 4 it's not mine but explains the angle better than I can.
Distance to ball stud to be 4-7/8". Mine is at 4-3/4
That should help not hurt you.
Russ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.