El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where on inner fender,,,,bracket has two sensors one has 4 other has 5 wires not matching wire code. Blue connector has 3 wires black, gray, & gray with red stripe. It has no sensor attached. Never had since I’ve owned it and ran normal
Can you show a pic if a Baro sensor?
Does it attach to the blue connector.
Haynes book lacks info
Thx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Auto parts store repair manuals typically focus on basic mechanical repairs. Actual GM literature may be needed for more detailed info and for restoration projects. I just happen to have these sheets handy showing emission control general location, appearance, and part numbers for my old 84 El Camino, maybe they will help. I’ve used GM parts & illustration manuals extensively on El Camino repair and restoration projects. It’s always helpful to know the part number of what you are looking for to track down superseded or crossover part numbers.
Handwriting Font Pattern Art Drawing
Font Material property Menu Parallel Pattern

·
Supporting Member
4,702 Posts
The BARO sensor looks EXACTLY like the MAP sensor that is mounted near the distributor. The MAP sensor measures vacuum, the BARO sensor measures atmospheric pressure, so they are not interchangeable. Some will mistakenly hook up vacuum to the BARO sensor, but there should be no hoses attached to it. Some G-bodies had it located on the fenderwell, while others had it located inside the cab, behind the glove box. Don't have mine anymore, or I would try and shoot a picture.

·
Registered
449 Posts
From an 84 service manual:
The Barometric sensor is located behind the RH side of I/P, above the glove box. But yours in an 86 so maybe different.
The wiring should have a Gray, a Black, and a Gray/Black colors associated with it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The MAP sensor measures vacuum, the BARO sensor measures atmospheric pressure, so they are not interchangeable.
MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure, and under load at full throttle, manifold pressure is equivalent to barometric pressure. Therefore both sensors cover the same pressure range and the parts are interchangeable.

That said, I agree the baro sensor should NOT be connected to any vacuum hose.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The BARO sensor looks EXACTLY like the MAP sensor that is mounted near the distributor. The MAP sensor measures vacuum, the BARO sensor measures atmospheric pressure, so they are not interchangeable. Some will mistakenly hook up vacuum to the BARO sensor, but there should be no hoses attached to it. Some G-bodies had it located on the fenderwell, while others had it located inside the cab, behind the glove box. Don't have mine anymore, or I would try and shoot a picture.
I found a blue 3 pin connector (see pic) on fender but it has no sensor. Wire colors are different. What connects to the blue 3 pin connector?
Thx

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure, and under load at full throttle, manifold pressure is equivalent to barometric pressure. Therefore both sensors cover the same pressure range and the parts are interchangeable.

That said, I agree the baro sensor should NOT be connected to any vacuum hose.
Can show a pic of a Baro sensor
I’ve looked behind glove box & fender well. Have a MAP sensor next to distributor
Thx

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am assuming your car is an 86. Is that correct?
I have manuals/schematics for my 84.
Possibly that the location of the baro sensor has changed and also the color coding on the wiring from 84 to 86 has changed a bit.
But you say the wires are black, gray, and gray with red stripe.
My 84 schematic has Black, Gray, and gray with black stripe.
I would get hold of the schematics for your particular year.
There is a supplement factory manual called " electrical troubleshooting" that has many good schematics in it.
See if any parts stores have the baro sensor in stock and see if your " Blue" connector matches up?
From the picture I see it looks like it will.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am assuming your car is an 86. Is that correct?
I have manuals/schematics for my 84.
Possibly that the location of the baro sensor has changed and also the color coding on the wiring from 84 to 86 has changed a bit.
But you say the wires are black, gray, and gray with red stripe.
My 84 schematic has Black, Gray, and gray with black stripe.
I would get hold of the schematics for your particular year.
There is a supplement factory manual called " electrical troubleshooting" that has many good schematics in it.
See if any parts stores have the baro sensor in stock and see if your " Blue" connector matches up?
From the picture I see it looks like it will.
Thx for your replies, I got a 86 GM service manual now. Very detailed. From what I can see you have a Baro or MAP or both with TBI, I have just one located next to distributor. The wires are the same on ECM location. I’m going through the step by step procedure process of elimination, it’s a learning curve for me getting a better understanding of how it works. A lot of reading. More than I expected. Not a troubleshooter. I can replace parts all day. Lol
Thx again guys

·
Registered
449 Posts
It is a learning curve for everybody. The more you work on these cars the more you learn. Always learning something new.
There is a supplement to the big service manual. It is called Electrical Troubleshooting Shop Manual Supplement.
I would highly recommend getting it. It breaks down the individual circuits.
Out of curiosity what motor is in your car?
That might have something to do with what sensors are in your car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a learning curve for everybody. The more you work on these cars the more you learn. Always learning something new.
There is a supplement to the big service manual. It is called Electrical Troubleshooting Shop Manual Supplement.
I would highly recommend getting it. It breaks down the individual circuits.
Out of curiosity what motor is in your car?
That might have something to do with what sensors are in your car.
Yeah service manual covers a lot more than I wanted to know Lol,,I was looking for a quick fix, ,I’m knee deep and moving forward. Im going to look for the electrical supplement book you mentioned gonna need all the help since I’m not a mechanic but determined to fix it.
I got the 305. 5.0 CC Carb which has the Baro, TBI has MAP is for FI from what I gather, that there through me off looking for something I didn’t have
Is this the book

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Elcamino 305 4bbl
35 Posts
My 86 has same plug same color wires, Baro sensor mounted on those 2 flanges on left in first picture.
Napaonline part# is CRB219012 for $ 63.99
GM 16006833 cross ref to same #.
verify for yourself, i make no guarantee, batteries not included, contest void anywhere.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 86 has same plug same color wires, Baro sensor mounted on those 2 flanges on left in first picture.
verify for yourself, i make no guarantee, batteries not included, contest void anywhere.
Thanks all reply’s are helpful eventually I’ll get it little by little it adds up I become more mechanical at troubleshooting

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where on inner fender,,,,bracket has two sensors one has 4 other has 5 wires not matching wire code. Blue connector has 3 wires black, gray, & gray with red stripe. It has no sensor attached. Never had since I’ve owned it and ran normal
Can you show a pic if a Baro sensor?
Does it attach to the blue connector.
Haynes book lacks info
Thx
What is the name of this part mounted on the inside of the bracket?
Thanks all reply’s are helpful eventually I’ll get it little by little it adds up I become more mechanical at troubleshooting
What is the name of is part? Has a 5 pin connector mounts on inside of bracket
Thx

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts