El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long day at work, driving about 100 miles, on my way home my car throws a code. Codes were 41 and 45. Since mine is an 84 305 im thinking code 41 is the electric spark timing circuit, and i know 45 is the code for rich exhaust from o2 sensor. Since i just replaced the cap, rotor, coil, plugs, and wires, I cant figure it out. Anyone help?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since my computer wont let me edit my previous post heres what I've noticed:

A) Shakiness of engine felt through gas pedal on acceleration (both before and after tune-up)
B) Has always seemed to slow slightly when I tap the gas, then a few seconds later will pick right up (before and after)
C) Hesitation and major bog at wide open throttle, almost like it wants to stall, but smooths out if I let off the gas (noticed about a week prior to tune-up and still exists)
D) Black smoke when tapping the gas at idle (After tune-up)

From what I've been reading, it sounds like a bad ignition module. But since I am NOT a master mechanic... just a weekend wrench turner who can get the job done... anyone else have any input?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
That's funny i just pulled a 41 tonight THATS THE CONNECTION GOING INTO THE DIST. 4-PIN MAY WANT TO CHECK FROM THE ECM OR MAP/VAC SENSOR

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everything seems to be connected, my map sensor was replaced a year ago, the vac line to it is fine... the wires and connectors are fine...

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,773 Posts
41- no distributor signals to ecm, or faulty ignition module ( carbed models)
45- oxygen sensor or circuit - rich exhaust detected

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
41- no distributor signals to ecm, or faulty ignition module ( carbed models)
45- oxygen sensor or circuit - rich exhaust detected
Meaning if that code shows on a carbed vehicle its a faulty ignition module? Even if its a CCC system? And could code 45 be caused by the code 41?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Realized I didn't say what the Camino dealt with before it threw the codes. I was planning on going to the local drag strip and getting an idea of what my times are like before me and my buddy do some major engine work to the tune of something bigger lol. Well, last night, I made three or four runs on a mile or so long stretch of freeway near my house. On the first run it was stumbling heavily at WOT, but if I backed off the throttle a little it was fine. On my last run, the Police shut down the stretch I was on so that Secret Service could leave with Mitt Romney, which I know cause when I'm not at work I've got the scanner on in my car for obvious reasons. Well, I sat there idling on the freeway for a good 20-30 minutes, during which time I noticed alot of heat coming from the front end, temp never reached 200, was higher than normal but wasn't over-heating. After traffic started moving I went to two stores, then on my final trip back home, as I floored it to pass someone I noticed the light. Never stalled, got home fine. And this morning it cranked right up. That's what leads me to think it's the ignition module. What do ya'll think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts