El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find the upper coil spring housing for the left rear of a 79 Elky. Any 78-81, Elky, Malibu, Regal, will work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
rear coil mount

Sounds like a trip to the recycler is in order. Central Pa is littered with small and not so small yards and I'm sure with a little weed stompin that you'll be able to find one. How about letting sombody else stomp the weeds and visit Carlyle in a few weeks. There will be people their who are willing to help :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring toa car iin Carlisle, PA, Do you kno wwho and when,

When I looke dat the Online schedule, it was nto mentioned of anythin gtill late summer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
have a 80 monte my nef is parted out has both rear spring housing if you still need let me know ! :lol:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
It's been awhile since this was first posted and "stantheman" never did say if he was succucessful in fixing his problem, Stan how'd things go? Lets face it, 5th gens definately leave a lot to be desired when it comes to rear suspension and frame corrosion back there. I have not done this on my Elky, (not necessary) but, I saw a 5th gen Elky at a car show where the owner had removed the stock coil springs, and in their place installed a coil over shock setup. This setup is available through Summit Racing, and must be welded in between the frame rails and to the axle tubes. It looks like it might be a bit easier to install vice cutting out and welding in an upper spring housing...if you can find one (yeah you can find one at a boneyard) but now convince them to cut it out, and think of the expense of having someone cutting out the bad one and welding in the replacement into your Elky! Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've done it a few time back in the day of low riding I beleve ther is two large rivets and a little weld to cut out and there out I will be striping the monte tomarrow i'll get back to you on this

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've done it a few time back in the day of low riding I beleve ther is two large rivets and a little weld to cut out and there out I will be striping the monte tomarrow i'll get back to you on this but the setup you refure to sounds like a better set up and probable look better and with better handling but to each his own

·
Registered
24 Posts
rear spring perch

I know what you'r up against. Just rebuilt mine. The hard part is removing the dad section. I was lucky to have a lift ,plasma cutter and the all important mig welder,(working in a bodyshop is a good thing).I cut out the bad stuff with a plasma cutter (cut off wheel will work).I made the frame patch from 1/4" plate. For the spring retainer I used a 3"long peice of 2 1/4" exhaust pipe. The plate is welded to the top of the frame so I a 1/4" donut to make up the height differnce. Watch out for the wiring that runs down the left rail.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rear spring perch

sorry have nto replie dto this , been out the area for awhile. Was able to get from local salvage yard in great shape, so everyhtin gwent ok, now need oil pan, mine is wierd ha dipstick going directly into pan not through block

Thanks to all for you suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts