El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COLOR ME DISGUSTED
My EL Camino appeared to be an exceptionally nice driver quality car. With that in mind I paid above average for it. After about a week the A/C stopped blowing cold. I had that corrected and converted to the new coolant spec. (R something-not freon). Now a couple of months later it is not blowing cold again. The tech said "R something is thinner than freon and it has started leaking all over the place". They want to replace everything (at least it seems that way) for ONLY $2K. That sucks. Wife is pi**d off because of all the money I have spent since I bought the car. New wheels, tires, bed cover, floor mats, Bluetooth receiver, speakers, etc, etc, etc……….
When wife is not happy, life is not good……………………………
Sorry about the rant, just had to vent

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Try a different shop. Find one willing to put dye in and search for the leak; It may be one simple component or seal. Or just put R134 in every three months-it’s not hard to do yourself. (I have to recharge mine every summer).
Patrick

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your system is still setup for R-22, it'll need to be fixed if swapping to R-134a or the new R-1234yf. Chemical changes in composition make the old seals swell, like rubber soaked in tranny fluid, and they'll leak like bandits. It'll mean basically changing out compressor and every seal in the system.

If it's already R-134a, you can switch it to R-1234yf, since R-134a is getting phased out anyway, using the same equipment.

Most autopart stores will have a small can of R-134a that includes dye, sometimes even a gage, just throw it in, go for test drive, and hit the engine bay with a black light. Make sure to check the compressor, many times it's the shaft seal. But it will be quite evident. Should have @ 25 psi to 35 psi on the low side port when the clutch is engaged.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When you had it converted did they actually put the proper O-rings in for R-134? Like the above user said just draining the old refrigerant out and refilling with new stuff won't work.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
The 134A molecules in the gas are also smaller than R12 molecules. So the 134 leaks out without the recommended impermeable hoses.

And don't EVER shoot a can of AC sealant into your system. There's not a shop on the planet that will touch a system that has been doctored with sealant because it will contaminate their expensive refrigerant recovery equipment in the shop.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
and while you can buy the replacement parts (accumulator, dryer, etc) with a lifetime warranty at places like Advance, you have to buy them all at once. they want to make sure you're installing a complete new system that won't cross-contaminate.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody. I guess I am just upset because of what I have already spent since I bought the car in March. Initial A/C repairs, new wheels, tires, bed cover, floor mats, Bluetooth receiver, speakers, etc, and now a whole new A/C system. I will get over it. It's just aggravating to have so much tied up in a driver quality car.

I sure hope to get to meet some of you soon. Maybe that's it. Spending all that money and not a single show or GTG. MAYBE SOON!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Thanks everybody. I guess I am just upset because of what I have already spent since I bought the car in March. Initial A/C repairs, new wheels, tires, bed cover, floor mats, Bluetooth receiver, speakers, etc, and now a whole new A/C system. I will get over it. It's just aggravating to have so much tied up in a driver quality car.

I sure hope to get to meet some of you soon. Maybe that's it. Spending all that money and not a single show or GTG. MAYBE SOON!
Just think, you could be making $800+ monthly payments on a new truck from any manufacturer for the next 7 years! And then have the same problems when you finally pay that one off!

Joe

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been there done that
ha ha

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The less I spend on my car the more I enjoy it... All the fancy hi tech stuff is a royal pain in the a$$.. Listen to your wife, I wish I would of started listening to mine a lot sooner.. Ask yourself, do I NEED this or do I just WANT this...

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
and 5 yrs from now, you will still have a nice car with NO MONTHLY PAYMENT, that will still be worth as much as you paid for it. ask the wife if she wants a monthly payment on a computerized car that will eventually fail somewhere electronically, or a car that is reliably mechanical and cheap to fix

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've dumped waaaaayyy more time, effort, and money into mine than I care to admit since I purchased my '82 almost 3 years ago but at least now I've got a sweet reliable ride to cruise in. The parts are cheap and pretty easy to work on too which is a major bonus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just learned how to service my own 40-year old AC system by watching youtube, asking questions, and just trying it. My 80 El Camino now blows cold 134a after charging with dye, fixing a leak on the low side (which was an o-ring), vacuuming the system down for 30 min and re-charging.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Time to change this thread subject line from "Color me disgusted" to "Color me diversified and capable".

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's the ride. There's nothing like it in modern cars. When you take the sport suspension on my wife's R/T, add in the Road & Track package, 20" rims with 40 series tires that are only 2" worth of rubber, sure it'll go around a corner like nobody's business, the price being you feel like that Princess who can feel the pea through 10 mattresses. Long trips are brutal experiences to every muscle. These old school crucks, whole different world. There's something just deeply satisfying in driving one, owning one, and I feel nothing but pity for all those low riding Honda owners riding around in Fred Flintstone rocks for tires vehicles as they simply just don't have a clue.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts