El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha y’all!
Since I swapped my V6/TH350 for a SBC/700r4 I’m having a hard time shifting into park. When I bring the column shifter up, it acts like it’s in neutral and keeps rolling. Any advice on how to adjust the linkage?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Aloha
Are you sure the Park pen is in tact and in good shape? If your transmission was in Reverse it would be hard to roll the cruck if the engine was off. Park & Neutral are basically the same, but in Park, your Park Pen should be engaged to prevent movement. The Pen is not metal and designed to shear should the vehicle be forced to move (rear-ended while parked)
I would suspect your Park Pen is bad

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aloha
Are you sure the Park pen is in tact and in good shape? If your transmission was in Reverse it would be hard to roll the cruck if the engine was off. Park & Neutral are basically the same, but in Park, your Park Pen should be engaged to prevent movement. The Pen is not metal and designed to shear should the vehicle be forced to move (rear-ended while parked)
I would suspect your Park Pen is bad
[/QUOTE

If I cycle the shifter around some, I’ve been able to get it into park. How do I access/replace the park pin?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
You've swapped a 3 speed for a 4 speed auto. With the stock linkage there will be a sacrifice of either low or park.

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
Look where the shift linkage connects to the column. (5 o'clock position below brake booster) Follow that down and where the rod connects to the bell crank there is a bolt (13mm head) loosen it and reach over to the arm on the transmission and shove that lever forward until it stops. re-tighten the bolt. Should be in park now. When is the last time you manual shifted an automatic into first gear? Not a problem for anyone I know. I have the factory linkage controlling the shifts on a 6L90E with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts