El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a few searches, and couldn't find any exact answers, always just generalizations about a certain part here or there.

I'm goin to probably 2-3 junk yards thurs and friday, and I'm going to find every possible piece I can for my elco. Assume I basically know nothing because I pretty much do.

Which exterior and interior parts are compatible from what years and cars for my 1979 el camino.

All I know is it's a 5th gen, G body but that pretty much doesn't mean anything to me yet, I'm learning still.

I need door pieces, lights, interior pieces, dash and other screws and pins, and front pieces like a grill and left corner light.

There should be some kind of sticky for compatibility vehicle parts for each gen, ya? I know I'd use it if I found one.

Thanks in advance,
:nanawrench:

-Noobie vault dweller (I've been in an underground vault for 80 years I know nothing!)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hows it going? I replied to your text but I think I erased it. Here we go again. The parts for Elcos from 78-87 pretty much interchange. From 78-80 had 2 headlights. You can use the header panal from a 78-80 Malibu also. If you want to up grade to 4 headlights you can take the header panal from a 81-87 Elco or Malibu. (also take the wiring harness because your gonna need it.
The interior parts pretty much interchange. I hope this helps you. If I can be of anymore assistance hit me up.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
929 Posts
http://www.bowtiepower.com/Gbody_chassis.html Only thing is, do you have a bench seat or a split bench seat? Regular bench seats do not have the proper mounts for other seats, only other bench seats. Split bench seats will take not only other split benchs, but bucket seats and whatever other g body seats you find. Good luck with your search, please keep us updated!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I unfortunately have a bench seat, but I've always liked the split better, but I know what you mean because there are only 4 mounts in my elco, not 8, so I can see how that wouldn't work. oh well. Thanks for the help, I'm planning on going black on black, and just found a guy parting out a 79 black interior with most still there so I'm stoked to get down there and swipe up those door panels and possibly bench seat if he has one. I'd also like to grab his dash, but I might just have to go with a cover mold because dashboards do not look very easy to remove and I've never done it.

Thanks again!:You_Rock:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Niether have I, might wanna do some more research on g body dash removal, becuase if the dash in the donor car is nice it is really worth the extra effort to remove it. From what I have read there isn't much holding these things in lol. Goodluck, and feel free to post some pics of your progress :beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 13
2,233 Posts
The headlight bezels for 78 and 79 are the same, but are different from 80 and 81, mounting holes I think. That also means the header panel is different to match holes. However these panels are interchangable for all years 78-87, just need the wiring for the 82-87 for the 4 headlights.

Tim

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you find a good dash cheap, its not that hard to remove. Once you know where all the screws are at that hold it in. I removed one took about an hour at the junkyard. Remove and replace dash on my elko a good 4 hrs .Takin my time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.