El Camino Central Forum banner

Complete Wire Harness Replacement

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jsrail 
#1 ·
Has anyone replaced their entire wiring harness (e.g., something like a Painless kit) with the car in one piece (i.e., not prepped for painting or restoration). Obviously it would be easier to do with the car stripped down to its bare bones. I'm curious if performing this replacement with the car in one piece is worth considering. I suppose anything is possible, but would this approach simply not be worth the hassle?

#2 ·
If you take the seats, dash and carpet out for the entire process it would be about the same amount of work as doing it during a full restoration.

#4 ·
Good to know. Current harness looks like Edward Scissorhands had gone a few rounds with all the wiring. Got most everything working, but having a fresh start would be ideal. Maybe its a good candidate for a winter project. Thanks once again for the input.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#5 ·
I posted about this on another thread, but I installed all new harnesses on our '65 Elky except the flat ribbon wire from the dash to the rear light harness. There were a lot of wires cut and a real "mickey mouse" job done on the wiring, including having half the harnesses from a '64 and half from a '65! And the dash and gauge cluster were from a '64. I bought my dash harness from M & H which was less expensive then any other and I heard great things about them. No complaints from me so far. I also purchased two harnesses from NPD. It's more cash, but I think easier installation if you have a mess of wiring to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.