El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question pertaining to "The Control Computer", the one I have is stock, the engine is a Jeg's 350/400+ HP. I have restored all the wiring to stock (both under the hood and dash), I drove the Elky to its current location and it ran like cr*p. The interior is not yet reinstalled and I am wondering if I should upgrade or change the "Module" before buttoning it up. If so some suggestions would be more than welcome. This is a Cal/Smog Elky and needs to pass "SMOG".

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Years ago I had a 300hp crate motor and I put a chip in and sent the carb off to be tuned. I told them to not mess with the idle circuit because it had to pass smog. The elky (1983) ran great but really had to mess with the carb to keep the check engine lite off. It did pass smog but with the tall (stock) gears and converter the elky didn't ever run strong at low rpms. As said above the cam in a 400 hp engine might be to big.

Don

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I have no idea if the cam is Smog friendly or computer friendly, I guess I could call Jeg's and find out, but that no guarantee that it hasn't been changed by the previous owner(s). I was more wondering if a chip would help with the smog issue. It has no heat riser valve in the exhaust either. The one I got for PnP was for the 305 which has smaller dia. pipes as well as stock manifolds, mine has Ca. legal headers and no room for the heat riser. Yes the same one thats on my 1 ton truck would fit, but again no room.

·
Supporting Member
4,441 Posts
If the cam produces low vacuum ( lope at idle) it will not play well with the ECM. You generally need an LSA of 111 or higher to be in the ballpark ( for when you call the cam company), but even that won't guarantee it.

Sounds like you might have been in "limp Home" mode. Did you get an SES light when you were driving it? If so, any codes pulled? Timing checked? ( has to be set with the 4 pin connector to the distributor disconnected- set at 0 to 4 BTDC to start- no more than 6 BTDC or you may get knock). Can you hear the Carb "Clicking rapidly" when you turn the key to on ( but not start)?

A couple of pictures of the engine bay can help as well.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
without the heat riser should be no problem running,, it will be a little cold natured,
just adjust the choke after you get it running right..

check for vacuum leaks and hose routing.. and as said timing,, mcs,, x2 D and engine/computer grounds..

check the manifold vacuum with a gauge, for the cam..
youll need a steady 18-20 in, warmed up at idle for the map/computer..

does the 84 have a knock sensor?? if so disconnect it and see if it runs better??

:texas:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts