El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As part of the Celebration of our 10th Anniversary, I want to begin a conversation with some of our earliest members. This Thread will be dedicated to those pioneers who experienced the early growth of the NECOA and elcaminocentral, and later the merging of the two El Camino themed organizations into the Association we know now.

So, my friends, if you have a NECOA number that is 1000 or lower, please post up some of your earliest memories of the organizations. Tell us about how you came to join up, what you've gained from the Association, and of any "growing pains" the Association went through back in the early years. Please go for it!....................Ken :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found this POst..................

I found this post this afternoon, and couldn't resist posting it on this Thread. Hopefully, Dale M. will find it here. If not, I'll make contact with him tomorrow and ask his indulgence. His NECOA number is 41, and he joined up in February of 2002, at least a year before the NECOA as we know it came into being an Association......................Ken :dontknow:

If the VIN plate reads 13380 then it was originally a 6-cyl car, the standard series with a V8 would have 13480. A Malibu series (or Custom) with the 6-cyl will have 13580 starting the VIN and the V8 will have 13680.
NECOA #041 - 67 El Camino
The Powerglide was the only available optional automatic transmission for th 6-cyl, the 283, and the 327. The 396 engines could also order a Powerglide or the beefier TH400. A manual 3-speed was the base/standard transmission behind anything.
NECOA #041 - 67 El Camino
Dale, I see that you joined up in 2002, and have only 46 posts. I find that fascinating - can you tell us about how you have came back to the Association after so long, or how you've kept the posts to only 42 over the past 11 years, and how the Association got off the ground back in 2002 & 2003? You’re obviously very astute about the El Camino and it’s history, so I would like to hear your story. Did you initially join Dan's group, the NECOA, or was it Robert's, the elcaminocentral group. I don't want to hijack this thread, so please go to the "Site Topics" Forum to respond - that is if you don't mind sharing the early stuff with us................................Ken

·
El Camino Central Founder/Co-Founder N.E.C.O.A.
4,386 Posts
I have NECOA number 124 and ECC number 1. Some of the join dates and numbers got bunged up during the first or second merging of the databases and site software upgrades, but I did go back and manually edit the resulting database to reflect everyone's original NECOA member number. Of course, the original elcaminocentral site had a different numbering scheme too and I chose to retain the NECOA numbering system when we merged or every one of the original members would have two numbers or a site number greater than their NECOA number. I do not remember exactly how many members each had but the majority of them were members of both NECOA and ECC.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, OH All Powerfull GUru.............

Would you mind going into some of the early growing pains of the merger, some of the interesting things that came about, maybe some of the funny things? I'm sure that most, like me, would be facinated with how the basis was laid for a 23,000 membership in 10 short years - or did you ever dream that the numbers would get so high, ever?

Based upon what you've told us about the numbers, I upped the eligible numbers to those with below Number 201..................Ken :dontknow:

I have NECOA number 124 and ECC number 1. Some of the join dates and numbers got bunged up during the first or second merging of the databases and site software upgrades, but I did go back and manually edit the resulting database to reflect everyone's original NECOA member number. Of course, the original elcaminocentral site had a different numbering scheme too and I chose to retain the NECOA numbering system when we merged or every one of the original members would have two numbers or a site number greater than their NECOA number. I do not remember exactly how many members each had but the majority of them were members of both NECOA and ECC.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The early roster numbers were a real cluster at the merge. Hell it doesn't even show that I am a member here to this day. Belonged to NECOA before the merge & you had to prove that you owned an Elcamino to join. I seriously doubt that this new crowd gives a .... what went on 10 years ago. Most of it can be reviewed through the "search " function anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,593 Posts
The early roster numbers were a real cluster at the merge. Hell it doesn't even show that I am a member here to this day. Belonged to NECOA before the merge & you had to prove that you owned an Elcamino to join. I seriously doubt that this new crowd gives a .... what went on 10 years ago. Most of it can be reviewed through the "search " function anyway.
So how would you prove you owned an El Camino?:dontknow:
Donny

·
El Camino Central Founder/Co-Founder N.E.C.O.A.
4,386 Posts
Would you mind going into some of the early growing pains of the merger, some of the interesting things that came about, maybe some of the funny things? I'm sure that most, like me, would be facinated with how the basis was laid for a 23,000 membership in 10 short years - or did you ever dream that the numbers would get so high, ever?

Based upon what you've told us about the numbers, I upped the eligible numbers to those with below Number 201..................Ken :dontknow:
Here's a good start for you Ken, don't know how or why but it eventually got deleted from ecc, but here goes.

A blast from the past, a copy of the original website of the NECOA (was necoa.org)

http://autocool.com/necoa_org/index.htm

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Nice always have to start somewhere. :neutral2:

·
Past National Director
2,927 Posts
Those were very interesting days ten years ago! I was the first registered member in Massachusetts (on both separate websites - NECOA and ECC) and I still have both the original NECOA 5th Gen T-shirt and the window sticker is still on my Elky.

It's nice to browse thru the list of early members and see quite a few are still active with the association.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,746 Posts
John , The old website is pretty cool and I will go back and look at more of it . Ken , the idea of hearing from some of the members that were involved with the association years ago is very interesting and I look forward to reading about them . :smileyb:

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Here's a good start for you Ken, don't know how or why but it eventually got deleted from ecc, but here goes.

A blast from the past, a copy of the original website of the NECOA (was necoa.org)

WOW!!! Has it been that long?!?!
Great link!
To tell the truth, I can't even remember this site! I was surprised to see myself in the member's listing.
I'm getting way too old!:dontknow:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't think people realize what a prize this organization is. I build and show different brands of cars/trucks and by far there is no other organization that has informed and participating members like this one. I have done lots of custom mods to my vehicles and wrote a lot of tech articles for other sites with no response. So to learn how this site became what it is and why the people are so involved is very interesting to me. The people on this site have helped me Unknowingly, immensely, and they don't care if i also have a brand x. :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I don't know if this can be confirmed .Original member at NECOA # 279 also ECC # 727 , I am registered on NECOA site page [ 26 ] last page. Have to say this is an excellent site and people . Also a happy 10 Year anniversary to El camino central and an Elcamino Owner also 10 Years this month ... :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I don't think people realize what a prize this organization is. I build and show different brands of cars/trucks and by far there is no other organization that has informed and participating members like this one. I have done lots of custom mods to my vehicles and wrote a lot of tech articles for other sites with no response. So to learn how this site became what it is and why the people are so involved is very interesting to me. The people on this site have helped me Unknowingly, immensely, and they don't care if i also have a brand x. :You_Rock:

Couldn't have said it better.:hail: :cali: :agreed:

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
924 Posts

Theres some neet reading in that link!!!:You_Rock:
Regions covered a lot more miles then!:nanawrench:
Donny

I agree with DDD. There's still some good info there in the side bar links. Last Updated in 03. So that's where it all started from huh??? :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No Danger to Computer

I want to assure all of our membership that there are absolutely NO MALICIOUS BUGS lurking anywhere in the old information posted by acauth1 (one of our Founders). The Bug caught by HKDUP87 came from a vendors connection - NOT from the ECC Forum software. This Thread is completely safe. I has been thoroughly checked by acauth1 and found fault-free. Sorry for any confusion and my delay in making this statement..........................Ken :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One of the New Crowd..............

I'm one of the "New Crowd", 7d8ss, and I'm very interested in the history of the Association. I would like very much for you to share any of your early stories about the Association with the members, because you're one of the pioneers who made this Club what it is today. If you can tell us how the numbers were messed up, maybe I or Robert can manage a fix - maybe. What led you to join up? Did you need information, or did you feel like you could help someone else? How did your intentions work out? What has changed the most in the last 10 years?......................Ken :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.