El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a lead on a possible engine/trans donor for cheap, a 94 blazer... I am fairly sure they only came with v6's that year, but hey, it's a TBI V8 with serpentine belts and all it's AC parts and brackets, fuel pump, wires computer and whatever else I can scavenge....
At the moment I am only assuming it still has it's 4L60E since I believe that year they came with them.

My question is what would I need to do, or have done to the transmission to convert it from 4wd to 2wd. A light rebuild is probably in order anyway so if the tail housing and shaft have to come off and out, no big deal. But I am short on particulars, most of my google hits turned up unhelpful threads on Blazer/truck boards, so all help would be appreciated! :beer:

Jeri~

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Plenty of folk have removed the forward shaft to the front transfer case on these vehicles in an attempt to save fuel mileage. I'm not sure of any room issues you might have placing this under your Cabby to run it. Hope some of the members with the Transmission know how post in soon!

:beer:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just as a word of caution this is not from personal experience but what I've managed to dig up:

You will need a 2WD output shaft and tail housing from another 2WD 4L60E. The 4WD transmission has to be torn completely down, then rebuilt with your 2WD pieces.

If you have a transmission shop anywhere near you I'd suggest going down and talking to them. Might be able to point you in the right direction as far as cost and time goes. Most of the chatter I found suggests that it's not too difficult if you know transmissions well, I've only opened one up so can't say firsthand though I probably wouldn't do it myself.

Good luck and I hope the above helps you out!

·
Registered
532 Posts
while this "conversion" can be done, if you don't know your way around a 700r4 i would not suggest attempting it yourself, requires tearing completely down(output shaft comes out through the front) as stated above, you also need a 2wd output shaft and tailhousing. as well as any bad seals/internal parts you find during the swap. so no big deal if you are rebuilding/having rebuilt anyways, but a huge pain in the butt if that was not your intention to begin with. also most 94's are 4l60e 94 was the conversion year, so it will probably be 4l60e, if it has a kickdown cable it is 700r4 otherwise a 4l60e.(4l60e would require a pcm or a full manual kit if you want it to shift) there are virtually no difference between v6 and v8 700r4/4l60e(till you get into factory high performance stuff such as corvette)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!
I've found mostly the same info on the web so far. A lot of it is on the Blazer forums etc where they point out that it would be easier to just get a 2wd blazer, and for them that might be right because of the involvement needed to convert the spindles, rotors, etc, etc... But for our case here it's just the transmission we want so the labor involved may not be that bad, especially if I take it to a shop for a refresh anyway.

We'll see what happens. :beer:

Jeri~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts