El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted the vacuum heater and AC controls and valves to an electronic setup? I read a thread on another site from darbysan where he used a Roadmaster setup. It was more detailed than I was looking at as I don't want climate control,outside air temp etc. I was just thinking exactly what is in my 85 except going from vacuum to electronic operation.

the LS engine will require electronic cruise control so I think I could remove all vacuum equipment?

Comments and suggestions certainly welcome. The dash will be removed shortly so everything will be accessible. I'm not sure I would do this but vacuum vs. electronic is "so 1980's." IMHO.

I imagine with a thorough detailed inspection/testing the vacuum would work fine. Just inquiring and looking for input at this time.

·
Supporting Member
4,373 Posts
Yep, that was my install, and it is pretty complicated. However, it was much easier than having to also change out all of the vacuum operated "flaps" to an electric Motor operating the flaps. It was hard enough to change out the cable drive for the temp setting to the one motor i did have to install. Also, the newer Electronic head units all work through the Body Control Module, so you would have to incorporate that new computer into your installation as well. And having the BCM without all of the other components it drives could cause the BCM to malfunction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts