El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
That feedback is very helpful for sure. From a "why is this idea a good one" perspective, I can easily see why a lumpy cam car would benefit, but all those American cars and trucks with hydroboost as stock don't all have lumpy cams. Is the "benefit" in any way connected to better stopping distance of less pressure required or better feel? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Dave, I may not be qualified to fully answer that question.

I will ask someone who is if they would like to respond. If they have the time I can then post their "Guest Expert" answer.

I was glad that Justin Shears showed me how to adjust the brake pedal adjuster. I lowered the point where the pedal engages to match my Honda and Cheyenne. The hydro boost make this 45 year old El Camino brakes feel like those newer vehicles.

I can also tell you that a few of Shear Performance customers have come back with another vehicle that generate high vacuum and say "Hydro Boost it. Make it like my other one." I don't have the funds for that, yet some do. So they like the feel and ask for the change.

I missed one opportunity before making the changes. I should have asked to test drive Justin's Chevelle before we made the change. I would recommend driving a hydro boost similar to a car like yours if at all possible before the investment.

Here is a link to some of HydraTech Braking's customers talking about their experiences. At least one speaks about having manual brakes, yet not enough power to push his modified big brakes and the results after the change.

http://hydratechbraking.com/testimonials_old/

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great Information. I did not know about the fitting on the type 2 pumps. I did this conversion with a set up from an astro van and had problems. I am using a type 2 pump. I did not use a reducer fitting or valve on the pump. Will the steering be affected by the pressure reduction?

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Bill, Nice to see you posting.

Shear Performance modified the '70 Gen 1 pump by adding a second return line to the reservoir, converting to Shear Performance specially design AN fittings. I don't think they needed to modify the pump.

However, there is a good link discussing GM Gen 2 pump, aftermarket reservoir and line sizes between the two.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186234

I know Paul's HydroTech FAQ talks about the pump selection and the importance of not getting to much aeration when using a reservoir. It is worth another read.
http://www.hydratechbraking.com/FAQ.html

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Chris
My kit came through CPP too. Then they used HydraTech, so it is likely as described in this article.

The whining is usually microbubbles (or bigger bubbles) in the power steering fluid.

I remember Justin Shears of Shear Performance asking me NOT to bring any power steering fluid for the job. He used one of the Delco products, because they have had some problems with after market fluids. HydraTech also recommends using manufacturers power steering fluid. They say to not use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (see link in next paragraph).

About half a page down in this link is HydraTech's instructions on getting the air out of the power steering system.
http://www.hydratechbraking.com/tech.html

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cali
There is a preferred direction to add that "T" fitting. If you don't find the info in the instructions, HydraTech support at 625-449-8261 should have the most recent update.

The low pressure return line from steering box, should flow straight through the T to the PS reservoir. The low pressure return line from brake assist unit comes in at the 90 degree angle.

We choose to not use the T fitting and added the additional connection to the PS reservoir.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am using the hydratech braking system in my 83 elky, since im using a "cammy' motor. I found that for this generation your going to need a shorter master cylinder which hydratech does sell as oem and a wilwood style will end up hitting the bottom of the hood as these units stick out more then vac assist units.

Since i was doing a full tear down on my elky anyway i replaced front calipers with ssbc 2 piston units, rear wheel cylinders with enlarged ones (s10 i think), all the hoses are now braided lines. and the hard-lines are all stainless. i even added an adjustable proportioning valve, and line lock to the mix.

it takes a little while to get the air bubbles out of the booster unit, as i found out. even after the rest of the system wasn't making any noise from bubbles, some inevitably got trapped in the unit due to it being the highest point in the ps system. Now that its been run for awhile and the air pockets are out. I feel like my car stops better then most cars ive driven on the road.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm looking into a conversion like this when I get my 1970. after I'm set up to transport my chair first thing on the list is safety upgrades. and the way people drive where I live I been wanting to do a hydro boost setup. I have debated if a 12.19" wildwood breaks conversion would go well on a set up like that or staying disk drum would be okay with hydro boost. id only go 12.19 so I could clear the 15" wheels I want to use. looking at willwood's Front Brake Kit Part No.: 140-10510-DR and Rear Brake Kit – Part No.: 140-2112-DR.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
I'm considering a stroker 383 as a crate replacement engine for my car running whatever cam they put in it. I wonder if it will not make enough vacuum to need a boost kit like this. I'm also replacing the front drum brakes on my 70 El Camino with disks.

These upgrades are still a while in the future but this thread is a very interesting discussion.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
48 Posts
would u recommend adding some kind big brake system to go with the hydro boost system like willwood? I know they require bigger rims but I want car that can put u thru the windshield to stop in a emergency.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
My budget would only allow one or the other.
The blower cam was making a decision.
So far, I am doing OK with just hydroboost, so I will not be upgrading to bigger brakes.
I still need to budget for upcoming rear drums, and better shoes and pads.

I know you like blue 70 El Caminos. Below is an image just before dusk sets of Blue Thunder with original 17 inch Boyd Coddington two piece JunkYard Dog rims.
They are similar to the 5 spokes you were looking at earlier. They are now reproduced as a one piece.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/boyds-junkyard-dog-series-chrome-wheels?N=4294920356

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
My budget would only allow one or the other.
The blower cam was making a decision.
So far, I am doing OK with just hydroboost, so I will not be upgrading to bigger brakes.
I still need to budget for upcoming rear drums, and better shoes and pads.

I know you like blue 70 El Caminos. Below is an image just before dusk sets of Blue Thunder with original 17 inch Boyd Coddington two piece JunkYard Dog rims.
They are similar to the 5 spokes you were looking at earlier. They are now reproduced as a one piece.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/boyds-junkyard-dog-series-chrome-wheels?N=4294920356
so the stock brakes with new pads and shoes work really good with the hydro boost huh. I found a OEM GM color called forest green I really like.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Larry
Thank you for adding good quality images to this thread.
Once you have had a chance to use it for a while in normal driving, it would be good to hear your thoughts.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts