El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
‘64 came with powerglide, and has a 700r4 currently. I can’t force the column to go any farther than L which only puts it out of overdrive. Not the best for burnouts. Do I just need one of the Lokar ACA 1800 kits and a different shift indicator bezel?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Not sure how strict your drag strip requirements are or if you plan to travel to other tracks but it may be good to look up a NHRA/IHRA rule book as well as the local track rules for the class you want to run in. If you plan to manually shift the transmission, you may want to consider an aftermarket floor shifter with the reverse lockout and in either case whether a column or floor shifter, a working neutral safety switch. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some time back I ran across a modification to a PG column shifter by some midwestern street racers who modified the detents, for 3 (?) speed street racing, not sure if reverse valve body was used.....worth a search..might have been Mike Moran/ Chicago.....?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just called Muscle Factory and they said most likely I just need to grind the column to allow the lever to move farther. I’ll look into this now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure how strict your drag strip requirements are or if you plan to travel to other tracks but it may be good to look up a NHRA/IHRA rule book as well as the local track rules for the class you want to run in. If you plan to manually shift the transmission, you may want to consider an aftermarket floor shifter with the reverse lockout and in either case whether a column or floor shifter, a working neutral safety switch. Let us know how it goes.

I’m just doing the test n tunes at the track, so they’re pretty lax on rules. I’m keeping the column shifter. I like my open floor board.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
So I just called Muscle Factory and they said most likely I just need to grind the column to allow the lever to move farther. I’ll look into this now.
This works but it is absolutely worth the $50+ shipping to buy it from shiftworks and then call them when you need help bending it and lining it up. They are great people.

The splines and slot on the arm will allow you to set it up the pivot ratio how you like it, vs how it ends up after grinding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts