El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
At least a header panel. Thatd give you the dual headlights. If you want it to be FULLY correct then itd be a lot of work lol. Youd have to switch over to fuel injection since (I think) all 82+ El Caminos were fuelies. Then also, youd have to switch the gauge cluster over to the circular gauges which is a nice upgrade anyways lol. Good luck! Make sure you take tons of pics if you do the swap! :nanawrench:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
At least a header panel. Thatd give you the dual headlights. If you want it to be FULLY correct then itd be a lot of work lol. Youd have to switch over to fuel injection since (I think) all 82+ El Caminos were fuelies. Then also, youd have to switch the gauge cluster over to the circular gauges which is a nice upgrade anyways lol. Good luck! Make sure you take tons of pics if you do the swap! :nanawrench:
Step away from the beer... How do you jump from headlights to fuel injection? Please read the question before answering..:beer::dontknow: And no.. all 82+ Elkies are not fuel injection. My 87 and most of the ones on here are q-jet. Read all of the threads about Mountain Man carbs and you'll see that.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Yup i got a quad and mines an 84. I dont think any were fuel injected? The V-6's how ever are throttle body.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why would you want to take a 78 and change it? Makes no sense 78 looks better in my opinion and a lot less single headlight models than quad. 78 last year before computers and emissions

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Also front quarter panels, depending on how legal you need to be. You loose your side markers with the later header panels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Step away from the beer... How do you jump from headlights to fuel injection? Please read the question before answering..:beer::dontknow: And no.. all 82+ Elkies are not fuel injection. My 87 and most of the ones on here are q-jet. Read all of the threads about Mountain Man carbs and you'll see that.
iLoL'd

I figured I need the header panel... definitely wanna keep my factory Cluster, makes it look unique rather than a Monte Carlo SS..

Header panel & front wire harness !!
Sounds right.
so just buy the Front Wire Harness ? Do they sell them anywhere ?

Yup i got a quad and mines an 84. I dont think any were fuel injected? The V-6's how ever are throttle body.
x2

Why would you want to take a 78 and change it? Makes no sense 78 looks better in my opinion and a lot less single headlight models than quad. 78 last year before computers and emissions
I was actually just interested in upgrading the Header and Rear to 81 but I'm having a hard time locating a 81 Header Panel in my area, so O figured I'd get a 82+ Even though I don't like it much.

Also front quarter panels, depending on how legal you need to be. You loose your side markers with the later header panels.
sounds about right since the newer fenders have markers on them

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,781 Posts
Check your local upullit or ebay !! for the front wire harness. I think the monte has the same harness ??

·
Registered
802 Posts
Not to get off subject but dont the newer El Co's have some type of computer operated carb?

And I didnt read the question right lol. I thought he meant "78-82 headlights, turn signals, and what else" instead of just the headlights and turn signals

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Not to get off subject but dont the newer El Co's have some type of computer operated carb?

And I didnt read the question right lol. I thought he meant "78-82 headlights, turn signals, and what else" instead of just the headlights and turn signals
No problem brother.. just gotta keep you young guys in line.:poke:
And yes, my 87 still has the computer controlled q-jet. Not sure when that started but next year mine's coming off. I already have a non-ccc q-jet and i'm gathering the parts needed for the swap. I just bought a 3.42 posi and will be swapping the drum brakes for disc brakes. Hopefully my gas mileage wont suffer too much. i usually drive with it in 3rd gear anyway when in traffic.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lol someones gotta keep us in line!

I somehow got CCC confused with Fuel Injection lol :dontknow: :beer:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Im guessing so.

Only Lights portion of Header Panel is what I was referring to, but I think I may have found a 81 Header Panel so I'm happy.

No problem brother.. just gotta keep you young guys in line.:poke:
And yes, my 87 still has the computer controlled q-jet. Not sure when that started but next year mine's coming off. I already have a non-ccc q-jet and i'm gathering the parts needed for the swap. I just bought a 3.42 posi and will be swapping the drum brakes for disc brakes. Hopefully my gas mileage wont suffer too much. i usually drive with it in 3rd gear anyway when in traffic.
What kind of Disk setup will you be going with ?

Lol someones gotta keep us in line!

I somehow got CCC confused with Fuel Injection lol :dontknow: :beer:
lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts