El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this subject has been beaten to death, but I could not find any relevant information on this site or elsewhere.

I went looking for a kit to replace the mechanical fan with dual electrics. I assumed it would be a simple case of finding a set of fans/shrouds that would fit my radiator and would come with the requisite brackets, wiring and components to get everything working. Man was I wrong. I found many, many types of fans, many, many wiring harnesses, but rarely a fan/harness combo that would be a "direct-fit" for my El Camino. The best I could find was a BeCool system from Summit, but that's a $1500 kit (includes radiator which I don't really need; sweet set-up though).

I did some searching on this site, and I see some people are scavenging parts from other makes/models and adapting them to their car. I'll be honest and say I don't have that type of skills for that sort of procedure. Isn't there an under $500 kit out there that bolts on (or with some minor modifications) to my existing radiator and comes with the correct wiring harness? Or I'm I looking in the wrong places and over-thinking this whole process? :???:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
I donr think there is a bolt on kit. I run a dual elec fan set up fr
om a olds alero. It is the same width and does agood job keeping lumpy cool.
i wired them using relays from a cadillac svs.
hope this helps cheers woody out

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Take a look at JEGS online catalog - most are between $225 and $350, some include thermo switch, others sell the hardware - relay and switch separately.

http://www.jegs.com/c/Fans_Electric-Fans/10117/10002/-1

I'm using one of the Flex-a-Lite dual fan setups with shroud. Measure your radiator core height and width and see which fan assembly would fit best.

Good Luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was looking for the easy route but I guess that is currently not available. Now that I know a kit is not available, I'll take a closer look at the individual fan/shroud/harness options and see if I can work something out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
And with the cruck and this obsession.....it is all about how you don't know how to do it,.,,,,YET !!!!

This is probably one of the easiest customizations there is, but one you will learn so much from. Can be great wandering around the wrecking yard looking for options. NOTE, while looking for one or a set to fit, take a close look at the front of the rad and see if there is a vertical stiffner on the radiator header panel that you have to fit behind or on both sides of.

Good luck. Really take this on. I find fans all the time at swap mest for $10.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used a kit from Hayden that was relatively complete. It had thermostatic controls and relays etc, plus mounting brackets (although they were pretty universal) but be careful on cfm requirement.
I originally ordered a dual set up that was not quite large enough and had to "super size" it later.

http://www.haydenauto.com/Featured Products-Electric Fans/Content.aspx

Good luck

Hasbeen :texas:

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is a project were you can do pretty much anything for your car you want.
I went with Champion radiators 3 Row Core aluminum rad with dual 12" fans set up with shroud.
http://www.championradiators.com/
I got my whole set up for about $350.
The fans they came with weren't that great, so I got me some Spal fans from http://www.spalusa.com/
I also got a temp turn on swith from them for $35. They have relay harness kits that are pretty straight foward to install, comes color coated and with instructions.
I used my own relays with my own harnesses, but I wired them up according to the diagram on Spal's website.
My motor stays at 170-180 even at high temperatures.
The wiring really isn't hard to do, especially if you have a basic knowlege of wires.

I would sugest looking around Summit, Jegs, some other site, or even check with your local auto parts store.... Online is usually alot cheaper...
But check around for a fan(s)/shroud combo, if doing just fans and no radiator swapp.
After you find one that will work for you, get that and then look for the relays and harnesses, I know Summit has those for a good deal.

Anyway, thats my input. I'm sure you will get 1,000 different answers from everybody. Just take them all and think what would be best for your car, and your set up, asking help along the way.

Good luck with the project.:beer:
-Ductape

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great information. I will give all these sites a good hard look. Actually looking forward to sourcing the parts myself now that know there's no other option. If something goes wrong I'll be sure to check back here to get me out of my jam. ECC is the best!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts