Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Elco Fans

I just made a new dash for my 1983 El camino. G body

iequus fuel, temp, oil, volt, Speedo, and 5 inch tach

they look beautiful.

they all work great.

i just have one problem, i cant light them properly.

i have the ground right, thats a no brainer. but the white wire. i thought i would have to tap it in on the wire wire behind the headlight switch. which it does light up. but when i turn the switch to turn off the gauges, my courtesy lights are on n kills my battery.

what i would like is when i pull back the headlight switch knob to turn on my headlights, i want my gauges light up to.

Has anyone done this? Is It Possible?

I have a pic to show you my dash

let me know what you think and a solution to my little problem

·
Premium Member
799 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply bro,

okay since i stripped everything off the cluster, like the printed curcuit, all the bulbs, the old gauges, old speedo, etc. its just the instrument cluster shell. so you think i tap into the gray wire to light the gauges?
would i have control to dim them?

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Thanks for the reply bro,

okay since i stripped everything off the cluster, like the printed curcuit, all the bulbs, the old gauges, old speedo, etc. its just the instrument cluster shell. so you think i tap into the gray wire to light the gauges?
would i have control to dim them?
yes the gray wire... if you have the wires that came out of the circuit board you can still use them for switched power, lights, and fuel gauge. Insead of having a spaghetti mess under you dash..:beer:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the original shop manuel for the 83 el camino n the grey wire is brown on my car..

n WAZZAAAM!! it works!!.. i pull the switch all the way back n my gauges light up.

thanks man!!!!!! thank you soo freaking Much!!!!!!!!!

like damn!! thanks man!!

:nanawrench::beer:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dude I've been wanting to a similar setup but was worried about one how much I've seen gauges go for, and two, how do you take it all off that green electric panel pad crap? like, I just want to keep my stock gauges and simply re-arrange them with the addition of a TACH? so since this thread seems like it has the answers to gauges...can i keep my gauges in the cluster and simply make a new cluster...where the gauges are rearranged and there is room for an in dash tach?

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Hello Elco Fans

I just made a new dash for my 1983 El camino. G body

iequus fuel, temp, oil, volt, Speedo, and 5 inch tach

they look beautiful.

they all work great.

i just have one problem, i cant light them properly.

i have the ground right, thats a no brainer. but the white wire. i thought i would have to tap it in on the wire wire behind the headlight switch. which it does light up. but when i turn the switch to turn off the gauges, my courtesy lights are on n kills my battery.

what i would like is when i pull back the headlight switch knob to turn on my headlights, i want my gauges light up to.

Has anyone done this? Is It Possible?

I have a pic to show you my dash

let me know what you think and a solution to my little problem

heres a bunch of wiring diagrams for your year. if you dont see it let me know and i will add it.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/HKDUP87/wiring/

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I like the gauge set up, nice big easy to see and read!!!
Great job!!!:nanawrench:
Donny
That looks like the set of stick ons you were talking about. They don't look bad from here.:texas:

·
Registered
802 Posts
^^^ Agreed. I had my tach down on my shifter (pic) and it was bright enough there lol. Having it up in your face like that will definitly be a problem

·
Registered
157 Posts
I hate to high jack this guys thread but he got what he wanted and I'm still left with a question lol. Can I resuse my stock gauges but not the stock clouster. Like I want to do a custom setup where my speedometer is center becuase I don't have a stock tach, then I want a small digital tach just below that to the right, and then I want to space out the stock gauges benath in an even row, and put last but not least..a fuel pressure gague the left of the newly centered speedo? I also plan to have added two small thermostat gauges that will actually measure the air temp going into my Cold Air intake when it is done, as well as one that will be attacheched to the plastic ciruit stand on the right wheel well so it's not affected by metal but will till me my under the hood temp. I've seen to many cars overheat and I dont have the cash to afford new alternator/water/pumps do to over-heating. So I figure the guages will be a good sign something has gone out, like either my radiator is leaking fluid, or my water pump died, or one fo the electric fans I plan to install gave out. I mean I know that seems like 2 gauges more than needed but I figured it will have a nice Dragstrip look to it as I'll do a flat steel interior panel out of some light galvinized 1/16th thick steel and simply COVER my stock dash. but I need to know IF I have to buy sunPro or w/e kind of gauges the original thread poster did? Or can I rearrange my stock gauges and add a few custom ones and try to blend the styles? I'm wondering what exactly that green circuit pad is for? is it just to power the light bulbs or does it send data...I'm clueless about how most of my gauges show me WHAT they show me and any help would be awesome. Like If I know what they do and how to do it I have a good set of hands and am pretty imaginative. Thanks in advance ya'll.

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
The wiring harness ends and all communication to the dash is through the circuit board. You will have to hard wire everything.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I hate to high jack this guys thread but he got what he wanted and I'm still left with a question lol. Can I resuse my stock gauges but not the stock clouster. Like I want to do a custom setup where my speedometer is center becuase I don't have a stock tach, then I want a small digital tach just below that to the right, and then I want to space out the stock gauges benath in an even row, and put last but not least..a fuel pressure gague the left of the newly centered speedo? I also plan to have added two small thermostat gauges that will actually measure the air temp going into my Cold Air intake when it is done, as well as one that will be attacheched to the plastic ciruit stand on the right wheel well so it's not affected by metal but will till me my under the hood temp. I've seen to many cars overheat and I dont have the cash to afford new alternator/water/pumps do to over-heating. So I figure the guages will be a good sign something has gone out, like either my radiator is leaking fluid, or my water pump died, or one fo the electric fans I plan to install gave out. I mean I know that seems like 2 gauges more than needed but I figured it will have a nice Dragstrip look to it as I'll do a flat steel interior panel out of some light galvinized 1/16th thick steel and simply COVER my stock dash. but I need to know IF I have to buy sunPro or w/e kind of gauges the original thread poster did? Or can I rearrange my stock gauges and add a few custom ones and try to blend the styles? I'm wondering what exactly that green circuit pad is for? is it just to power the light bulbs or does it send data...I'm clueless about how most of my gauges show me WHAT they show me and any help would be awesome. Like If I know what they do and how to do it I have a good set of hands and am pretty imaginative. Thanks in advance ya'll.
I don't know if this helps.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/HKDUP87/wiring/

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well if I have to wewire everything do you mean I'll have to redo the whole harness, O can I just split the harness and splice it directly to the gauges versus have the whole thing input to the green circuit pad? My understanding of electronics is that that board is a set of silcone pathways, power/datsa is sent from a wire making up a group of wires, the specified wire should be the only thing sending data on that pathway? so my speedo wire...can i disconect it and hook it up to my speed. see this is why I am confused. Most tachs come with a kit and you can instal the gauge anywhere and it reads rpm off the distributor or of a reflective color on the fan blade. But a tach should also be able to be hooked into the stock cluster right? I don't mind if I have to use a diagram and split the harness into individual labeled wires and directly attach them to their gauges? I've wired tons of stereos so the basics I've got down, it's determining IF I can do this project and then by which wires to split first and test using no green circuit pad that seems difficult?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just need to be clear on what I have to do, hardwire versus the digital circuit pathways seems better to me anyways, I've seen what happens to the Green pads if the get old and over-heat. Plus I'd rather use my own lighting system because i have these computer light that are awesome and one would light the whole cluster! If I have understood, I can reuse my harness and simply go back to the section before it ends and use those wires, lengthen them through crimps and attach them to their new solid and individual feed gauges?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.