El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know if there is anything cool that i can do with a 1977 el camino. The front end especially because i just dont like the look of it. Anything would be cool, thanks.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Sorry to say, but not much has been developed aftermarket for fourth gen.'s. The only cool thing I've seen was a SS style nose that was used on the same era Malibu (I think) that looked like it would bolt right on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did they even make any malibu's from 73-77?? I am having a real hard time finding malibu of this year to rip from. The only thing about the style of it that i want to change is how the front end looks with the grill and the lights and the ohh my! :cry:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
You know that's not a bad lookin front end. I wonder why GM didn't put that front fascia on all 4th Gen Elkys. Maybe you 4th Gen Elky owners could get Lauren Industries to manufacture and market a front end fascia like that if they see enough interest

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
According to some "Rumor", that is completely unsubstantiated, they did on a limited basis. However it is really easy to take an S3 Laguna's front clip and slap it on an Elky of the same year. I know that some of the Car Dealerships did just that but I really don't think GM did.

I saw an El Camino for sale on E-Bay that the owner was stating he had a build sheet showing that his Elky (76) was factory with the Laguna front clip on it. but it was not even an option on the 73~77 Elkys.

And anyway I like the front ends on the 73~77 Elkys. To me they are classy, and Unique. The Malibu's were the same front ends. That pic was not a Malibu it was a Laguna and they had a Laguna S3 (SS Version) during those years and then in 78 no more Laguna's. So the Laguna was limited to only 73~77. They made the Laguna, the Laguna S3 and the very Rare Baldwin Motion Laguna! :D

As I understand it, the "Chevelle" name dissapeared after 77. There were still a limited number of Malibus but they, to my understanding, never sported the name "Chevelle" in front of Malibu again.
My understanding is that they (Lagunas) were the "Sport Cars" for Chevy during those years. They had options that the Malibus didn't get and the Elkys didn't get.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'm sure it is easy to take a Lagunas' front fascia and slap it on an Elky of the same year. Question is where do you find one? When was the last time you saw one in a bone yard? For that matter when was the last time you saw one period (other then a pic)? I believe the S-3 was the sport version...it was a trick Chevy pulled to confuse the insurance companies who were, at that time charging people higher premiums just if their car had SS logos. I'm sure that some 4th Gen ECC members might be interested in the Laguna front end for their Elky to change the appearance, just as some 5th Gen owners like the Monte Carlo SS or Camaro front fascias. Problem is where do they get one? Anyone know who manufactures them? Like I stated maybe Lauren Industries could make them if they were to see enough interest. I saw the one on Ebay about a month ago, it looked really good in my opinion. I'm glad your happy with your Elky, you should be, it's a great lookin 4th Gen, but lets face it, their isn't a whole lot of custom parts available for it, and that is what this particular forum was about in the first place.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
87ElCamino said:
supergerbel said:
did they even make any malibu's from 73-77?
Yes Chevrolet made the Malibu during that time. You could put a Laguna header panel on it.

:mrgreen:
I love those Laguna front noses! Add that to my "one-of-these-days" list :mrgreen:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where will i be able to find the laguna header panel??? internet or somewhere in the virginia area...

S

·
0 Posts
Re:

What I did with my 76 was take the front bumper off and remove the panel that goes between the bumper and the grill. I also trimmed down the plastic corner pieces. I drilled small holes in the shock absorbers to release the pressure, and I whacked them all the way in with the blunt end of a maul. I went to a muffler shop and they welded them (for free) so they would stay put, now my front bumper looks nice and tucked, right below the grill. I wish I had pictures! someday I will get them developed.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Lagunas are cllectables. People that have them generally keep them. Your right no one make any aftermarket, that I have found, parts for the 4th gens. Best you could do is add a set of Dynomax, or some other, side pipes (Some called them Lake Pipes).

I think that we're lucky someone decided to make the hard bed covers for them. So we 4th gens are forced to either be creative on our own or just have the stock look, unless you find a nose from a Laguna. The Monty's front would require replacement all the way back to the doors. I've seen a few that were done that way.

·
Registered
165 Posts
supergerbel said:
I just wanted to know if there is anything cool that i can do with a 1977 el camino. The front end especially because i just dont like the look of it. Anything would be cool, thanks.
I think this is the best looking front end (73) and I think it would fit although I'm no expert on 73-77's. This was the last Chevelle ever produced by Baldwin-Motion Performance.

The Laguna front end is also very cool from 73-74 and looks like this...

Last Motion Chevelle

Laguna front end

More 73 Chevelle pics

I too am no fan of any dual headlight car. I think they look too bulky up front. You should be able to find a 73-74 front end fairly easily in the yards...on the Lagunas, it'll be tough, but you never know...you might check ebay from time to time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
front end

I have 76 with a 74 ss dog house on it :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just looking through the posts as I'm new this this site.
Everyone is correct you can go with the Laguna front clip but you will need all the parts from it.
I had an original '73 Laguna clip on my '75 but the base material ended up cracking which cracked the paint. Which sucked as the paint job on my El camino ran approx. 5K. Candy Aplle Red with flames.

VFN fiberglass offered at one time both the '73 Laguna and the '76 S3 style. Most people prefer the later of the two with the two long grill openings. I liked the open style like that of the 70s Camero's. They offered both race weight and street weight. I chose the race weight abought 12 lbs or so. Even with the fiberglass versions you will still need all the parts associated with a factory setup. That would include the headlight buckets, trim rings all braces and the front internal brace.
I have been building my '75 since 1985 still not done but the Laguna front end will make it stand out for sure.

later RDR

·
Registered
342 Posts
Twice a year in Englishtown - the Automotive Swap-Meet happens here in NJ. I have seen these for sale used. Maybe there are auto swap-meets like this where you live.

Aside from the cracking material mentioned, you may have to deal with rust on these noses. Unlike newer cars which have a separate reinforcement, these noses have rubber molded over a steel header panel and bumper reinforcement. Over time, I have seen these rust and the rubber separates from the reinforcement. This is the same issue that those SS Camaro grille extensions (split bumper 70-73) have, so it is difficult finding a good used one.

I had a 73 Malibu that I did this swap on (many moons ago). I think the look is better than stock, but it was a beast to line up and prep for paint.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a set of drop spindles NIB if you want to consider buying. I got them prematurly from Performance Susp. They give it a bad assed stance without tearing up the tires like cutting the springs does; but just don't want to get into rebuilding the front end right now. Still trying to get it driving. I did get it started yesterday before rehersal but I was too derailed to go. I put in qiute a few hrs on her but it was worth it.
Ltr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Laguna S3 front nose

Call the El Camino Store about the Laguna S3 slant nose for the El Camino. They sponsor Randy Walker's El Camino dragster, which has the Laguna S3 nose. I think that they would be able to either get you one or put you in touch with someone who has them. They are a great resource. Their number is 888-685-5987 or you can email them at www.elcaminostore.com.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts